Read from text area

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Mark Fisher, Dec 23, 2004.

  1. Mark Fisher

    Mark Fisher Guest

    Hi

    I have a database on a website, and a table in this db contains two fields,
    PCode, and Verified. I have to add new records to this in batches, and
    these batches are generated on a local PC.

    Is it possible to paste the contents of a text file into a text area form
    field, and then run an asp/vbscript routine to update the database.

    The text file contents to be pasted would be in the format:

    1234, Y
    1235, N
    1236, Y

    I am ok with updating the database, what I would like to know is how to
    split the text into individual items - is there some kind of read line
    function.

    Thanks

    Mark Fisher, Dec 23, 2004

  2. Mark Fisher

    Scott McNair Guest

    "Mark Fisher" <> wrote in

    > Is it possible to paste the contents of a text file into a text area
    > form field, and then run an asp/vbscript routine to update the
    > database.

    Set Cn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    Cn.ConnectionString = "[...]"
    RowArray = Split(Request.Form("MyTextBox"),vbcrlf)
    For Each Item In RowArray
    Cn.Execute "Insert Into MyTable (Field1, Field2) Values '" & Trim(Split
    (Item,",")(0)) & "', '" & Trim(Split(Item,",")(1)) & "'"
    Next
    Set Cn = Nothing

    Untested code, but it should work for you.

    Scott McNair, Dec 23, 2004