read only instiki

Ara.T.Howard

i'm running instiki with this cron line:

*/15 * * * * /dmsp/reference/bin/ruby /home/ahoward/shared/instiki-0.8.9/instiki.rb -p 4242 > /dev/null 2>&1

and keeping a read-only copy with this:

*/15 * * * * cd /dmsp/reference/dmsppad && links -source http://localhost:4242/dmsppad/export_html/ > dmsp.zip && unzip -o dmsp.zip > /dev/null 2>&1

this works fine.

however, i played with the publish and password options earlier and they
didn't seem to do anything - eg. i never get any pasword prompt and viewing
the *publish* url just seems to do a refresh over to the *show* url. now, we
are viewing only from the locahost (damn firewall) as in

mozilla http://localhost:4242/

and this also works fine - could this be the problem with password/publish
logic? perhaps spcial handling of requests from localhost? anyone else out
there gotten the password and read-only copy to work?

-a
| PHONE :: 303.497.6469
| URL :: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/
| "640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981

David Heinemeier Hansson

and this also works fine - could this be the problem with
password/publish
logic? perhaps spcial handling of requests from localhost? anyone
else out
there gotten the password and read-only copy to work?

I'm not entirely sure I understand the problem as you describe it. When
you enter a password on the Edit Web screen, you'll be prompted for a
password on all pages relating to that web. Now, if you check "Publish
this web", then all requests to /published/ will be let through even
though the password-protection is on.

Recap:

No password protection, no publish
- Everyone can access /wiki/show/HomePage and all other functions
- Nobody can access /wiki/published/HomePage

Password-protection, no publish:
- Only people with the password can access /wiki/show/HomePage etc
- Nobody can access /wiki/published/HomePage

Password-protection, publish:
- Only people with the password can access /wiki/show/HomePage etc
- Everyone can access /wiki/published/HomePage

So what you'd normally do is point to "/wiki/published/" from a proxy,
such as mod_proxy in Apache. I use this method with my corporate site
so that "http://www.nextangle.com/" is translated into
"http://www.nextangle.com/nextangle/published/" behind the scenes.

On a related Instiki note, I have a native OS X-version running locally
(that comes with Ruby 1.8.1, so nothing needs to be installedd) and
have also successfully used the PDFLatex integration to finish a
100-paged Bachelor's Project. I'm currently playing around with
integrating SubEthaEdit, so Mac-users get thrown into the same document
if two or more people attempt to edit the same page. Lots of activity.
Once I'm done with my final exams, I'll be sure to shoot out a release.
--
David Heinemeier Hansson,
http://www.instiki.org/ -- A No-Step-Three Wiki in Ruby

Thomas Fini Hansen

On a related Instiki note, I have a native OS X-version running locally
(that comes with Ruby 1.8.1, so nothing needs to be installedd) and
have also successfully used the PDFLatex integration to finish a
100-paged Bachelor's Project. I'm currently playing around with
integrating SubEthaEdit, so Mac-users get thrown into the same document
if two or more people attempt to edit the same page. Lots of activity.
Once I'm done with my final exams, I'll be sure to shoot out a release.

*googles on SubEthaEdit* Now that's interesting.. Now I want Emacs to
that too.. ;) (actually it does, in a more basic version. One can open
a frame on anothers display.)

Of more general use would be the merging capabilities of
CVS/Subversion, but presenting that in the best possible way is
tricky.

Speaking of the humble textfield, there's alternatives:
http://www.interactivetools.com/products/htmlarea/

But what I really want is a widget that'll look WYSIWYG, but will hand
back custom structured data of some sort.