Reading data from an ISA port

Gabriel Dragffy

Dear list members

I must admit I am a new user of Python, but it is a language that I
enjoy using.

For one of my university projects I need to write a program that can
read several bytes from an ISA port. It has been suggested to me that
I look at using C or Pyinline. If I can I would prefer to continue to
use Python, and Pyinline won't play ball.

I am sure Python can do this for me, but the question is how? What
modules and code do I need to look? I'd be very grateful for any
suggestions and advice.

Best regards

Gabriel Dragffy

(e-mail address removed)

Diez B. Roggisch

Gabriel said:
Dear list members

I must admit I am a new user of Python, but it is a language that I
enjoy using.

For one of my university projects I need to write a program that can
read several bytes from an ISA port. It has been suggested to me that I
look at using C or Pyinline. If I can I would prefer to continue to use
Python, and Pyinline won't play ball.

I am sure Python can do this for me, but the question is how? What
modules and code do I need to look? I'd be very grateful for any
suggestions and advice.

Python as-is won't help. It has no concept of memory addresses and
direct access to them. However, a trivial C-extension together with the
struct and/or ctypes module will help.

What you essentially need to code is a C-extension that will allow you
to directly access memory. Wrap that either in an extension or using ctypes.

Diez

Gabriel Dragffy

Python as-is won't help. It has no concept of memory addresses and
direct access to them. However, a trivial C-extension together with
the
struct and/or ctypes module will help.

What you essentially need to code is a C-extension that will allow you
to directly access memory. Wrap that either in an extension or
using ctypes.

Diez

Thanks for your information.

Are you able to tell me where or how to get or make this trivial C
extension, please?

Regards

Gabriel

Gabriel Dragffy