reading non-cached files from CD

tystent

I have a test application written in MFC (no .NET available) that
reads a CD full of files, and calculating file signatures, repeatedly,
hoping to uncover occasional read errors. However, after the files
have been read the first time, all subsequent reads come from Windows'
cache rather than from the CD, which defeats the purpose of the test.

How can I force file reads to come directly from the device and not
the cache? Or how can I open or read files so that they don't get
cached?

Victor Bazarov

I have a test application written in MFC (no .NET available) that
reads a CD full of files, and calculating file signatures, repeatedly,
hoping to uncover occasional read errors. However, after the files
have been read the first time, all subsequent reads come from Windows'
cache rather than from the CD, which defeats the purpose of the test.

How can I force file reads to come directly from the device and not
the cache? Or how can I open or read files so that they don't get
cached?

There is no answer to your questions in Standard C++. Please ask in
the newsgroup that deals with your OS (probably Windows). The list
of recommended newsgroups is in the FAQ.