Reading windows event file like event viewer from windows/system32/config/AppEvent.evt

veeru

hi ,any one can help ,me to solve my problem.
i m talking about reading AppEvent.evt SecEvent.evt SysEvent.evt files
which basically resides in C:\WINDOWS\system32\config folder of
windows xp.if we want to open that files and our computer is on n/w
than some services used all three files and i m not able to open that
files manually.if i want to read that files than i have two options
either read by event viewer or copy this file and to another place and
open it in vc++.
i have to read or parse that file by writing a pure java parser
without using any dll bcz that files runs under linux there is another
option to use so(shared object files working as a dll in linux) but i
don't want to depend on dll and so files.
one another way microsoft ;log parser but i m not sure that it
will run on linux or not ,simply i want to write independent java
program using only java based open source api
so plz give me a best approach to read or parse this event files when
they r locked by another applications or services.

this is the link which help u to understand windows event log format
and it has links of sample program written in vc++,c#,asp.net,c+
+,php .

http://www.whitehats.ca/main/members/Malik/malik_eventlogs/malik_eventlogs.html

i follow the php program approach but i got only source name,computer
name,description but not able to parse this things individually and i
also need date,event id,event type.

then i got another code from code project site,which has functionality
to read event logs it is using log4j to read this event files.and
display ti on swing interface but i want only a simple program which
did only reading or parsing event log files.

http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/tracetool.asp

Lew

veeru said:
hi ,any one can help ,me to solve my problem.

They'd be more likely to help if you avoid multi-posting, that is, posting the
same message independently to different newsgroups. Your best strategy is to
pick one.

There is a FAQ for these two newsgroups (to which I've cross-posted your
multipost) that you might choose to read. mindprod.com also has an excellent
article on newsgroup netiquette that you had best choose to read.