    Or better... is there an instruction sheet somewhere on how to reproduce
    the python.org binary packages?

    --rich

    K Richard Pixley, Jan 2, 2012

  2. On 1/1/12 16:49 , K Richard Pixley wrote:
    > I'm having trouble finding a reasonable python environment on mac.
    >
    > The supplied binaries, (2.7.2, 3.2.2), are built with old versions of
    > macosx and are not capable of building any third party packages that
    > require gcc.
    >
    > The source builds easily enough out of the box, (./configure
    > --enable-framework && make && sudo make install), but when I do that, I
    > end up with a python interpreter that lacks readline.
    >
    > How do I get readline involved?
    >
    > Or better... is there an instruction sheet somewhere on how to reproduce
    > the python.org binary packages?
    >
    > --rich

    Bah. I just needed to dig a little deeper into the source. All the doc
    I wanted is in there.

    --rich

    K Richard Pixley, Jan 2, 2012

  3. On 1/1/12 19:04 , K Richard Pixley wrote:
    > On 1/1/12 16:49 , K Richard Pixley wrote:
    >> I'm having trouble finding a reasonable python environment on mac.
    >>
    >> The supplied binaries, (2.7.2, 3.2.2), are built with old versions of
    >> macosx and are not capable of building any third party packages that
    >> require gcc.
    >>
    >> The source builds easily enough out of the box, (./configure
    >> --enable-framework && make && sudo make install), but when I do that, I
    >> end up with a python interpreter that lacks readline.
    >>
    >> How do I get readline involved?
    >>
    >> Or better... is there an instruction sheet somewhere on how to reproduce
    >> the python.org binary packages?
    >>
    >> --rich

    > Bah. I just needed to dig a little deeper into the source. All the doc I
    > wanted is in there.

    Well, partial victory. 2.7.2 builds. 3.2 doesn't.

    --rich

    K Richard Pixley, Jan 2, 2012
  4. K Richard Pixley

    Ned Deily Guest

    In article <cxnMq.50333$>,
    K Richard Pixley <> wrote:
    > On 1/1/12 19:04 , K Richard Pixley wrote:
    > > On 1/1/12 16:49 , K Richard Pixley wrote:
    > >> I'm having trouble finding a reasonable python environment on mac.
    > >>
    > >> The supplied binaries, (2.7.2, 3.2.2), are built with old versions of
    > >> macosx and are not capable of building any third party packages that
    > >> require gcc.
    > >>
    > >> The source builds easily enough out of the box, (./configure
    > >> --enable-framework && make && sudo make install), but when I do that, I
    > >> end up with a python interpreter that lacks readline.
    > >>
    > >> How do I get readline involved?
    > >>
    > >> Or better... is there an instruction sheet somewhere on how to reproduce
    > >> the python.org binary packages?
    > >>
    > >> --rich

    > > Bah. I just needed to dig a little deeper into the source. All the doc I
    > > wanted is in there.

    > Well, partial victory. 2.7.2 builds. 3.2 doesn't.

    As you may have discovered, by default the python.org Python 2.7.x and
    3.2.x on OS X 10.6 and above will link with the readline compatibility
    layer supplied with BSD editline (libedit) shipped by Apple. The
    Apple-suppled system Pythons also link with editline. While it is
    possible to link with your own version of GNU readline, there is also a
    readline project listed on PyPI that supplies pre-compiled versions of
    the Python readline module linked with GNU readline. I believe they are
    intended primarily for the system Pythons; I have not tried them myself
    with the python.org versions.

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/readline

    --
    Ned Deily,