Real Player has gone mad

dE|_

For months I have been happily using a downloaded JS file and inline script
to embed and control the parameters of SWF files which I use as mp3 players
with actionscript.

The last so.addParam controls the simple function auto-play; OFF but since
recent real player installations this has been taking over starting them all
off and even offering downloads.

This may be annoying for some writers but it is critical for the site I use
this on as some pages hold multiple SWF mp3 players- as many as 13, which
now all start together!

http://www.crackguitar.com/audio/loops/knowyourenemy.html

Just a drum machine loop, nothing nasty.

http://www.crackguitar.com/swfobject_1.4/swfobject.js

Is there a way to modify this to tell Real Player to keep off the stage?

Thanks in Advance,

Confused Del

David Mark

For months I have been happily using a downloaded JS file and inline script
to embed and control the parameters of SWF files which I use as mp3 players
with actionscript.

The last so.addParam controls the simple function auto-play; OFF but since

What so.addParam?
recent real player installations this has been taking over starting them all
off and even offering downloads.

This may be annoying for some writers but it is critical for the site I use
this on as some pages hold multiple SWF mp3 players- as many as 13, which
now all start together!

Why are you using Flash to embed audio? Why not use object tags? And
why would you have 13 Flash movies on one page?! Sounds like bad luck
to me.

I recognize that script. It is another reason not to use Flash on the
Web. It is better than Adobe's own deployment kit, but that isn't
saying much.
Is there a way to modify this to tell Real Player to keep off the stage?

Modify the script? I don't see how that will help. Try uninstalling
RealPlayer and see if the problem goes away. I suspect the root of
the problem is in the Flash app.

dE|_

David Mark said:
What so.addParam?

so.addParam("quality", "best");
so.addParam("loop", "false");
so.addParam("play","false");
so.write("flashcontent");

is the script's version of the object tags
<param name="quality" value="best" />
<param name="loop" value="false" />
Why are you using Flash to embed audio? Why not use object tags? And
why would you have 13 Flash movies on one page?! Sounds like bad luck
to me.

Flash to embed audio as it was and should bypass all other variable media
players, keeping the page to itself rather than another unknown app popping
up on the side.

Flash Object tags don't validate and my CV boasts 100% validation.

13 'movies' one one page; www.crackguitar.com/recordings.html a mass of
recordings by guitar students of mine. Even if I seperated the bands I would
still want more than one song on each page.
I recognize that script. It is another reason not to use Flash on the
Web. It is better than Adobe's own deployment kit, but that isn't
saying much.

Modify the script? I don't see how that will help. Try uninstalling
RealPlayer and see if the problem goes away. I suspect the root of
the problem is in the Flash app.

I know Real Player is the fault, I had to install update to watch a wedding
video last week and now it's gone wrong. I can't tell my visitors to
uninstall RealPlayer- according to my stats the 2 most visited pages are
ones that hold 6 and 13 mp3s.

Maybe 'Modify' was not the correct term (I'm not a script ace), telling a
movie not to start until you click a button is very simple in the program,
object and script even for me.
I suppose I need a script that tells RealPlayer to pss off.

Del

David Mark

so.addParam("quality", "best");
so.addParam("loop", "false");
so.addParam("play","false");
so.write("flashcontent");

is the script's version of the object tags
<param name="quality" value="best" />
<param name="loop" value="false" />
<param name="play" value="false" />

I doubt the script writes that. SWFObject is not compatible with
XHTML.
Flash to embed audio as it was and should bypass all other variable media
players, keeping the page to itself rather than another unknown app popping
up on the side.

What do you mean by popping up on the side? And it sounds like the
Flash app is somehow tangled up with RealPlayer, so it is not an
island.
Flash Object tags don't validate and my CV boasts 100% validation.

Flash object tags are no different than any other object tags. They
validate if they are marked up in valid fashion. You are thinking of
embed tags, which is what most Flash developers use.
13 'movies' one one page;www.crackguitar.com/recordings.htmla mass of
recordings by guitar students of mine. Even if I seperated the bands I would
still want more than one song on each page.

I know Real Player is the fault, I had to install update to watch a wedding
video last week and now it's gone wrong. I can't tell my visitors to
uninstall RealPlayer- according to my stats the 2 most visited pages are
ones that hold 6 and 13 mp3s.

I didn't say to tell your visitors to uninstall it. You should
uninstall it to determine if it is the cause of the problem.
Maybe 'Modify' was not the correct term (I'm not a script ace), telling a
movie not to start until you click a button is very simple in the program,
object and script even for me.

I don't know what you mean by that, but modifying the JavaScript that
writes the Flash tags is not going to help with this problem.
I suppose I need a script that tells RealPlayer to pss off.

There is no such thing. You should tell it to Adobe instead.

dE|_

"David Mark" wrote
I doubt the script writes that. SWFObject is not compatible with
XHTML.

When I briefly showed it to a previous housemate who writes in everything
from Java to C# he described it as a script that writes the HTML for you but
I haven't got hold of him yet.
What do you mean by popping up on the side? And it sounds like the
Flash app is somehow tangled up with RealPlayer, so it is not an
island.

If you just <a href="xxx.mp3" >link to an mp3 it gets opened by the visitors
default 3rd party media player in a second window, I don't want distraction
from the page.
What is worst was a previous RealPlayer went forward to a new blank page
expecting a video but only a tiny timeline!

See what I mean? If you set Flash as the scripted, embedded media player
then Flash was and should still be the only app that can play it.

Oh yeah, you don't need a streaming server, Flash has a simulated streaming
where it http's it it little bits.
Flash object tags are no different than any other object tags. They
validate if they are marked up in valid fashion. You are thinking of
embed tags, which is what most Flash developers use.

Cross-Browser issues: Firefox etc doesn't recognise <object> so you have to
use said:
I didn't say to tell your visitors to uninstall it. You should
uninstall it to determine if it is the cause of the problem.

Uninstalled, problem solved.
I don't know what you mean by that, but modifying the JavaScript that
writes the Flash tags is not going to help with this problem.

There is no such thing. You should tell it to Adobe instead.

Well, I'm going to try standard scriptless versions with RP installed, and
if the problem continues I may have to leave the big warning signs at the
top of the music pages.

I hope you don't think I am ignoring you but using Flash as a media player
(should) gives (gave) you so much more control over your pages with no need
for a streamer.

Del

PS even YouTube are using Flash as video players but these are set to start
auto.
Good one

dE|_

"David Mark" wrote wrote in message
What do you mean by popping up on the side? And it sounds like the
Flash app is somehow tangled up with RealPlayer, so it is not an
island.

Sod it, I'm going to keep all the scripting as it is and just put each of
the movies in individual popups. They're each in a tiny iframe at the moment
to make the pages more manageable so it won't be much work.

Del

dE|_

David Mark said:
What so.addParam?

Why are you using Flash to embed audio? Why not use object tags? And
why would you have 13 Flash movies on one page?! Sounds like bad luck
to me.

I recognize that script. It is another reason not to use Flash on the
Web. It is better than Adobe's own deployment kit, but that isn't
saying much.

Modify the script? I don't see how that will help. Try uninstalling
RealPlayer and see if the problem goes away. I suspect the root of
the problem is in the Flash app.

Tested traditional XHTML <object> & <embed> version using machine with RP
still on it... RP still wants to take over the world like he's been drinking
Stella so it is not a swfobject.js issue.
Flash mp3 player's been working fine for probably 9 months until a RP
upgrade last week[1] and now it is overriding basic and vital actionscript:
DON'T START UNTIL TOLD TO.

Wonder what Adobe think to that?...

Del

[1] I'm sure I had it already, no reported problems from visitors or anybody
who has music on there.

:Jerry:

dE|_ said:
"David Mark" wrote wrote in message

Sod it, I'm going to keep all the scripting as it is and just put
each of the movies in individual popups. They're each in a tiny
iframe at the moment to make the pages more manageable so it won't
be much work.

Can't you have a list of URL's that load the page into a (single)
iframe, thus only the currently loaded page will be available to the
player IYSWIM?

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

dE|_ said:
Cross-Browser issues: Firefox etc doesn't recognise <object> so you have to
use <embed> as well which doesn't validate.

Firefox of all browsers supports the `object' element best; you only have to
use it properly. As for other browsers, it is IE that makes the exception
of erroneously interpreting the content of the element if it has a media
object even if the outer media object type is supported.

PointedEars

David Mark

"David Mark" wrote

When I briefly showed it to a previous housemate who writes in everything
from Java to C# he described it as a script that writes the HTML for you but
I haven't got hold of him yet.

No need to. It writes HTML, not XHTML.
If you just <a href="xxx.mp3" >link to an mp3 it gets opened by the visitors
default 3rd party media player in a second window, I don't want distraction
from the page.

Those are links, not object tags.
What is worst was a previous RealPlayer went forward to a new blank page
expecting a video but only a tiny timeline!
See what I mean? If you set Flash as the scripted, embedded media player
then Flash was and should still be the only app that can play it.

Oh yeah, you don't need a streaming server, Flash has a simulated streaming
where it http's it it little bits.

So do other popular plugins like Quicktime.
Cross-Browser issues: Firefox etc doesn't recognise <object> so you have to

That's a myth. It doesn't recognize IE-specific object tags.
use <embed> as well which doesn't validate.

You don't have to, but if your design must pass parameters to Flash,
the standard object-in-object-with-conditional-comments method
excludes some old Safari versions (or at least they won't pass your
parameters to Flash.)
Uninstalled, problem solved.

Well, I'm going to try standard scriptless versions with RP installed, and
if the problem continues I may have to leave the big warning signs at the
top of the music pages.

Or you could go with one song per page or find a script that swaps
object tags.
I hope you don't think I am ignoring you but using Flash as a media player
(should) gives (gave) you so much more control over your pages with no need
for a streamer.

I don't agree. I wouldn't even use it for video, let alone audio.
Del

PS even YouTube are using Flash as video players but these are set to start

They are stupid.

dE|_

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn said:
Firefox of all browsers supports the `object' element best; you only have
use it properly. As for other browsers, it is IE that makes the exception
of erroneously interpreting the content of the element if it has a media
object even if the outer media object type is supported.

Can you extend on that please with a link or likewise; I again removed the
<embed> repetition of all the <object> param/values and again IE worked fine
yet FF displayed my alternative content.
Just finished evening's tuition and in a bit of a different zone.

|)e|_

David Mark

Tested traditional XHTML <object> & <embed> version using machine with RP

Are you really using XHTML? Realize that HTML and XHTML are not the
same thing. Your page doesn't sound like it needs XHTML.
still on it... RP still wants to take over the world like he's been drinking
Stella so it is not a swfobject.js issue.
Flash mp3 player's been working fine for probably 9 months until a RP
upgrade last week[1] and now it is overriding basic and vital actionscript:
DON'T START UNTIL TOLD TO.

Wonder what Adobe think to that?...

They don't think at all. Just read their documentation/code samples
or spend a few minutes in one of their support forums.

dE|_

"David Mark" wrote
Are you really using XHTML? Realize that HTML and XHTML are not the
same thing. Your page doesn't sound like it needs XHTML.

Dunno, Flash 8 puts this at the top;
but you say the swfobject script won't work with X.

You tell me.

I'll get back on the case tomorrow or after a beer, my head is still buzzing
with Marylin Manson and T-Rex

|)e|_

David Mark

"David Mark" wrote

Dunno, Flash 8 puts this at the top;

What do you mean Flash puts that at the top? Do you mean some IDE
from Adobe generates pages like that? If so, that is further
confirmation that Adobe's developers are out of their minds.
but you say the swfobject script won't work with X.

It won't and it doesn't output extra slashes in its param tags.
You tell me.

You are serving XHTML as HTML, which is the only reason that your page
actually renders.

dE|_

"David Mark" wrote
What do you mean Flash puts that at the top? Do you mean some IDE
from Adobe generates pages like that? If so, that is further
confirmation that Adobe's developers are out of their minds.

Yes, when you hit 'publish' Flash knocks out a page of HTML full of the
neccesary object and embed tags to hold it for you with that DTD at the top.
Usualy you/I would just copy the tags and paste them into the required page
but in the case of this site I left them as were, to be displayed in
iframes.
It won't and it doesn't output extra slashes in its param tags.

Do you mean the slashes />
You are serving XHTML as HTML, which is the only reason that your page
actually renders.

I will put my hand up and admit I don't know sht about XHTML or what you
mean by that but all Flash code is in iframes as I predicted stuff like this
and wanted to keep it away from the rest.

Del

David Mark

"David Mark" wrote

Yes, when you hit 'publish' Flash knocks out a page of HTML full of the
neccesary object and embed tags to hold it for you with that DTD at the top.
Usualy you/I would just copy the tags and paste them into the required page
but in the case of this site I left them as were, to be displayed in
iframes.

Okay, but realize that these are not real XHTML pages. It is
laughable that Adobe's tool outputs them with XHTML doctypes.
Do you mean the slashes />

Yes.