Real Player has gone mad

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by dE|_, Oct 2, 2007.

  1. dE|_

    dE|_ Guest

    For months I have been happily using a downloaded JS file and inline script
    to embed and control the parameters of SWF files which I use as mp3 players
    with actionscript.

    The last so.addParam controls the simple function auto-play; OFF but since
    recent real player installations this has been taking over starting them all
    off and even offering downloads.

    This may be annoying for some writers but it is critical for the site I use
    this on as some pages hold multiple SWF mp3 players- as many as 13, which
    now all start together!

    http://www.crackguitar.com/audio/loops/knowyourenemy.html

    Just a drum machine loop, nothing nasty.

    http://www.crackguitar.com/swfobject_1.4/swfobject.js

    Is there a way to modify this to tell Real Player to keep off the stage?

    Thanks in Advance,

    Confused Del
    dE|_, Oct 2, 2007

  2. dE|_

    David Mark Guest

    On Oct 1, 8:02 pm, "dE|_" <> wrote:
    > For months I have been happily using a downloaded JS file and inline script
    > to embed and control the parameters of SWF files which I use as mp3 players
    > with actionscript.
    >
    > The last so.addParam controls the simple function auto-play; OFF but since

    What so.addParam?

    > recent real player installations this has been taking over starting them all
    > off and even offering downloads.
    >
    > This may be annoying for some writers but it is critical for the site I use
    > this on as some pages hold multiple SWF mp3 players- as many as 13, which
    > now all start together!

    Why are you using Flash to embed audio? Why not use object tags? And
    why would you have 13 Flash movies on one page?! Sounds like bad luck
    to me.

    > http://www.crackguitar.com/audio/loops/knowyourenemy.html
    >
    > Just a drum machine loop, nothing nasty.
    >
    > http://www.crackguitar.com/swfobject_1.4/swfobject.js

    I recognize that script. It is another reason not to use Flash on the
    Web. It is better than Adobe's own deployment kit, but that isn't
    saying much.

    > Is there a way to modify this to tell Real Player to keep off the stage?

    Modify the script? I don't see how that will help. Try uninstalling
    RealPlayer and see if the problem goes away. I suspect the root of
    the problem is in the Flash app.
    David Mark, Oct 2, 2007

  3. dE|_

    dE|_ Guest

    "David Mark" <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 1, 8:02 pm, "dE|_" <> wrote:
    >> For months I have been happily using a downloaded JS file and inline
    >> script
    >> to embed and control the parameters of SWF files which I use as mp3
    >> players
    >> with actionscript.
    >>
    >> The last so.addParam controls the simple function auto-play; OFF but
    >> since

    > What so.addParam?

    so.addParam("quality", "best");
    so.addParam("loop", "false");
    so.addParam("play","false");
    so.write("flashcontent");

    is the script's version of the object tags
    <param name="quality" value="best" />
    <param name="loop" value="false" />
    <param name="play" value="false" />

    >> recent real player installations this has been taking over starting them
    >> all
    >> off and even offering downloads.
    >>
    >> This may be annoying for some writers but it is critical for the site I
    >> use
    >> this on as some pages hold multiple SWF mp3 players- as many as 13, which
    >> now all start together!

    > Why are you using Flash to embed audio? Why not use object tags? And
    > why would you have 13 Flash movies on one page?! Sounds like bad luck
    > to me.

    Flash to embed audio as it was and should bypass all other variable media
    players, keeping the page to itself rather than another unknown app popping
    up on the side.

    Flash Object tags don't validate and my CV boasts 100% validation.

    13 'movies' one one page; www.crackguitar.com/recordings.html a mass of
    recordings by guitar students of mine. Even if I seperated the bands I would
    still want more than one song on each page.

    >> http://www.crackguitar.com/audio/loops/knowyourenemy.html
    >>
    >> Just a drum machine loop, nothing nasty.
    >>
    >> http://www.crackguitar.com/swfobject_1.4/swfobject.js

    > I recognize that script. It is another reason not to use Flash on the
    > Web. It is better than Adobe's own deployment kit, but that isn't
    > saying much.
    >

    >> Is there a way to modify this to tell Real Player to keep off the stage?
    >>

    > Modify the script? I don't see how that will help. Try uninstalling
    > RealPlayer and see if the problem goes away. I suspect the root of
    > the problem is in the Flash app.

    I know Real Player is the fault, I had to install update to watch a wedding
    video last week and now it's gone wrong. I can't tell my visitors to
    uninstall RealPlayer- according to my stats the 2 most visited pages are
    ones that hold 6 and 13 mp3s.

    Maybe 'Modify' was not the correct term (I'm not a script ace), telling a
    movie not to start until you click a button is very simple in the program,
    object and script even for me.
    I suppose I need a script that tells RealPlayer to pss off.

    Del
    dE|_, Oct 2, 2007
  4. dE|_

    David Mark Guest

    On Oct 2, 6:20 am, "dE|_" <> wrote:
    > "David Mark" <> wrote in message

    > > On Oct 1, 8:02 pm, "dE|_" <> wrote:
    > >> For months I have been happily using a downloaded JS file and inline
    > >> script
    > >> to embed and control the parameters of SWF files which I use as mp3
    > >> players
    > >> with actionscript.

    > >> The last so.addParam controls the simple function auto-play; OFF but
    > >> since

    > > What so.addParam?

    > so.addParam("quality", "best");
    > so.addParam("loop", "false");
    > so.addParam("play","false");
    > so.write("flashcontent");
    >
    > is the script's version of the object tags
    > <param name="quality" value="best" />
    > <param name="loop" value="false" />
    > <param name="play" value="false" />

    I doubt the script writes that. SWFObject is not compatible with
    XHTML.

    > >> recent real player installations this has been taking over starting them
    > >> all
    > >> off and even offering downloads.

    > >> This may be annoying for some writers but it is critical for the site I
    > >> use
    > >> this on as some pages hold multiple SWF mp3 players- as many as 13, which
    > >> now all start together!

    > > Why are you using Flash to embed audio? Why not use object tags? And
    > > why would you have 13 Flash movies on one page?! Sounds like bad luck
    > > to me.

    > Flash to embed audio as it was and should bypass all other variable media
    > players, keeping the page to itself rather than another unknown app popping
    > up on the side.

    What do you mean by popping up on the side? And it sounds like the
    Flash app is somehow tangled up with RealPlayer, so it is not an
    island.

    > Flash Object tags don't validate and my CV boasts 100% validation.

    Flash object tags are no different than any other object tags. They
    validate if they are marked up in valid fashion. You are thinking of
    embed tags, which is what most Flash developers use.

    > 13 'movies' one one page;www.crackguitar.com/recordings.htmla mass of
    > recordings by guitar students of mine. Even if I seperated the bands I would
    > still want more than one song on each page.
    >

    > >>http://www.crackguitar.com/audio/loops/knowyourenemy.html

    > >> Just a drum machine loop, nothing nasty.

    > >>http://www.crackguitar.com/swfobject_1.4/swfobject.js

    > > I recognize that script. It is another reason not to use Flash on the
    > > Web. It is better than Adobe's own deployment kit, but that isn't
    > > saying much.

    > >> Is there a way to modify this to tell Real Player to keep off the stage?

    > > Modify the script? I don't see how that will help. Try uninstalling
    > > RealPlayer and see if the problem goes away. I suspect the root of
    > > the problem is in the Flash app.

    > I know Real Player is the fault, I had to install update to watch a wedding
    > video last week and now it's gone wrong. I can't tell my visitors to
    > uninstall RealPlayer- according to my stats the 2 most visited pages are
    > ones that hold 6 and 13 mp3s.

    I didn't say to tell your visitors to uninstall it. You should
    uninstall it to determine if it is the cause of the problem.

    > Maybe 'Modify' was not the correct term (I'm not a script ace), telling a
    > movie not to start until you click a button is very simple in the program,
    > object and script even for me.

    I don't know what you mean by that, but modifying the JavaScript that
    writes the Flash tags is not going to help with this problem.

    > I suppose I need a script that tells RealPlayer to pss off.

    There is no such thing. You should tell it to Adobe instead.
    David Mark, Oct 2, 2007
  5. dE|_

    dE|_ Guest

    "David Mark" wrote

    >> so.addParam("quality", "best");
    >> so.addParam("loop", "false");
    >> so.addParam("play","false");
    >> so.write("flashcontent");
    >>
    >> is the script's version of the object tags
    >> <param name="quality" value="best" />
    >> <param name="loop" value="false" />
    >> <param name="play" value="false" />

    > I doubt the script writes that. SWFObject is not compatible with
    > XHTML.

    When I briefly showed it to a previous housemate who writes in everything
    from Java to C# he described it as a script that writes the HTML for you but
    I haven't got hold of him yet.

    >> > Why are you using Flash to embed audio? Why not use object tags? And
    >> > why would you have 13 Flash movies on one page?! Sounds like bad luck
    >> > to me.

    >> Flash to embed audio as it was and should bypass all other variable media
    >> players, keeping the page to itself rather than another unknown app
    >> popping
    >> up on the side.

    > What do you mean by popping up on the side? And it sounds like the
    > Flash app is somehow tangled up with RealPlayer, so it is not an
    > island.

    If you just <a href="xxx.mp3" >link to an mp3 it gets opened by the visitors
    default 3rd party media player in a second window, I don't want distraction
    from the page.
    What is worst was a previous RealPlayer went forward to a new blank page
    expecting a video but only a tiny timeline!

    See what I mean? If you set Flash as the scripted, embedded media player
    then Flash was and should still be the only app that can play it.

    Oh yeah, you don't need a streaming server, Flash has a simulated streaming
    where it http's it it little bits.

    >> Flash Object tags don't validate and my CV boasts 100% validation.
    >>

    > Flash object tags are no different than any other object tags. They
    > validate if they are marked up in valid fashion. You are thinking of
    > embed tags, which is what most Flash developers use.

    Cross-Browser issues: Firefox etc doesn't recognise <object> so you have to
    use <embed> as well which doesn't validate.

    >> I know Real Player is the fault, I had to install update to watch a
    >> wedding
    >> video last week and now it's gone wrong. I can't tell my visitors to
    >> uninstall RealPlayer- according to my stats the 2 most visited pages are
    >> ones that hold 6 and 13 mp3s.

    > I didn't say to tell your visitors to uninstall it. You should
    > uninstall it to determine if it is the cause of the problem.

    Uninstalled, problem solved.

    >> Maybe 'Modify' was not the correct term (I'm not a script ace), telling a
    >> movie not to start until you click a button is very simple in the
    >> program,
    >> object and script even for me.

    > I don't know what you mean by that, but modifying the JavaScript that
    > writes the Flash tags is not going to help with this problem.
    >
    >> I suppose I need a script that tells RealPlayer to pss off.

    > There is no such thing. You should tell it to Adobe instead.

    Well, I'm going to try standard scriptless versions with RP installed, and
    if the problem continues I may have to leave the big warning signs at the
    top of the music pages.

    I hope you don't think I am ignoring you but using Flash as a media player
    (should) gives (gave) you so much more control over your pages with no need
    for a streamer.

    Del

    PS even YouTube are using Flash as video players but these are set to start
    auto.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arWHSC3gQkA Good one
    dE|_, Oct 2, 2007
  6. dE|_

    dE|_ Guest

    "David Mark" wrote wrote in message

    >> > Why are you using Flash to embed audio? Why not use object tags? And
    >> > why would you have 13 Flash movies on one page?! Sounds like bad luck
    >> > to me.

    >> Flash to embed audio as it was and should bypass all other variable media
    >> players, keeping the page to itself rather than another unknown app
    >> popping
    >> up on the side.

    > What do you mean by popping up on the side? And it sounds like the
    > Flash app is somehow tangled up with RealPlayer, so it is not an
    > island.

    Sod it, I'm going to keep all the scripting as it is and just put each of
    the movies in individual popups. They're each in a tiny iframe at the moment
    to make the pages more manageable so it won't be much work.

    Del
    dE|_, Oct 2, 2007
  7. dE|_

    dE|_ Guest

    Re: Real Player /Final Assesment/

    "David Mark" <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 1, 8:02 pm, "dE|_" <> wrote:
    >> For months I have been happily using a downloaded JS file and inline
    >> script
    >> to embed and control the parameters of SWF files which I use as mp3
    >> players
    >> with actionscript.
    >>
    >> The last so.addParam controls the simple function auto-play; OFF but
    >> since

    > What so.addParam?
    >
    >> recent real player installations this has been taking over starting them
    >> all
    >> off and even offering downloads.
    >>
    >> This may be annoying for some writers but it is critical for the site I
    >> use
    >> this on as some pages hold multiple SWF mp3 players- as many as 13, which
    >> now all start together!

    > Why are you using Flash to embed audio? Why not use object tags? And
    > why would you have 13 Flash movies on one page?! Sounds like bad luck
    > to me.
    >

    >> http://www.crackguitar.com/audio/loops/knowyourenemy.html
    >>
    >> Just a drum machine loop, nothing nasty.
    >>
    >> http://www.crackguitar.com/swfobject_1.4/swfobject.js

    > I recognize that script. It is another reason not to use Flash on the
    > Web. It is better than Adobe's own deployment kit, but that isn't
    > saying much.
    >

    >> Is there a way to modify this to tell Real Player to keep off the stage?
    >>

    > Modify the script? I don't see how that will help. Try uninstalling
    > RealPlayer and see if the problem goes away. I suspect the root of
    > the problem is in the Flash app.

    Tested traditional XHTML <object> & <embed> version using machine with RP
    still on it... RP still wants to take over the world like he's been drinking
    Stella so it is not a swfobject.js issue.
    Flash mp3 player's been working fine for probably 9 months until a RP
    upgrade last week[1] and now it is overriding basic and vital actionscript:
    DON'T START UNTIL TOLD TO.

    Wonder what Adobe think to that?...

    Del

    [1] I'm sure I had it already, no reported problems from visitors or anybody
    who has music on there.
    dE|_, Oct 2, 2007
  8. dE|_

    :Jerry: Guest

    "dE|_" <> wrote in message

    > "David Mark" wrote wrote in message

    >>> Flash to embed audio as it was and should bypass all other
    >>> variable media
    >>> players, keeping the page to itself rather than another unknown
    >>> app popping
    >>> up on the side.

    >> What do you mean by popping up on the side? And it sounds like the
    >> Flash app is somehow tangled up with RealPlayer, so it is not an
    >> island.

    > Sod it, I'm going to keep all the scripting as it is and just put
    > each of the movies in individual popups. They're each in a tiny
    > iframe at the moment to make the pages more manageable so it won't
    > be much work.

    Can't you have a list of URL's that load the page into a (single)
    iframe, thus only the currently loaded page will be available to the
    player IYSWIM?
    :Jerry:, Oct 2, 2007
  9. dE|_ wrote:
    > Cross-Browser issues: Firefox etc doesn't recognise <object> so you have to
    > use <embed> as well which doesn't validate.

    Firefox of all browsers supports the `object' element best; you only have to
    use it properly. As for other browsers, it is IE that makes the exception
    of erroneously interpreting the content of the element if it has a media
    object even if the outer media object type is supported.

    PointedEars
    --
    var bugRiddenCrashPronePieceOfJunk = (
    ) // Plone, register_function.js:16
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Oct 2, 2007
  10. dE|_

    dE|_ Guest

    ":Jerry:" <> wrote in message

    > "dE|_" <> wrote in message

    >>> What do you mean by popping up on the side? And it sounds like the
    >>> Flash app is somehow tangled up with RealPlayer, so it is not an
    >>> island.

    >> Sod it, I'm going to keep all the scripting as it is and just put each of
    >> the movies in individual popups. They're each in a tiny iframe at the
    >> moment to make the pages more manageable so it won't be much work.
    >>

    > Can't you have a list of URL's that load the page into a (single) iframe,
    > thus only the currently loaded page will be available to the player
    > IYSWIM?

    Eh? I don't like swimming.

    3 iframe example, please explain;
    http://www.crackguitar.com/lessons/lessons_drums.html

    Del
    dE|_, Oct 2, 2007
  11. dE|_

    David Mark Guest

    On Oct 2, 8:28 am, "dE|_" <> wrote:
    > "David Mark" wrote
    >
    > >> so.addParam("quality", "best");
    > >> so.addParam("loop", "false");
    > >> so.addParam("play","false");
    > >> so.write("flashcontent");

    > >> is the script's version of the object tags
    > >> <param name="quality" value="best" />
    > >> <param name="loop" value="false" />
    > >> <param name="play" value="false" />

    > > I doubt the script writes that. SWFObject is not compatible with
    > > XHTML.

    > When I briefly showed it to a previous housemate who writes in everything
    > from Java to C# he described it as a script that writes the HTML for you but
    > I haven't got hold of him yet.

    No need to. It writes HTML, not XHTML.

    > >> Flash to embed audio as it was and should bypass all other variable media
    > >> players, keeping the page to itself rather than another unknown app
    > >> popping
    > >> up on the side.

    > > What do you mean by popping up on the side? And it sounds like the
    > > Flash app is somehow tangled up with RealPlayer, so it is not an
    > > island.

    > If you just <a href="xxx.mp3" >link to an mp3 it gets opened by the visitors
    > default 3rd party media player in a second window, I don't want distraction
    > from the page.

    Those are links, not object tags.

    > What is worst was a previous RealPlayer went forward to a new blank page
    > expecting a video but only a tiny timeline!

    > See what I mean? If you set Flash as the scripted, embedded media player
    > then Flash was and should still be the only app that can play it.
    >
    > Oh yeah, you don't need a streaming server, Flash has a simulated streaming
    > where it http's it it little bits.

    So do other popular plugins like Quicktime.

    > >> Flash Object tags don't validate and my CV boasts 100% validation.

    > > Flash object tags are no different than any other object tags. They
    > > validate if they are marked up in valid fashion. You are thinking of
    > > embed tags, which is what most Flash developers use.

    > Cross-Browser issues: Firefox etc doesn't recognise <object> so you have to

    That's a myth. It doesn't recognize IE-specific object tags.

    > use <embed> as well which doesn't validate.

    You don't have to, but if your design must pass parameters to Flash,
    the standard object-in-object-with-conditional-comments method
    excludes some old Safari versions (or at least they won't pass your
    parameters to Flash.)

    > >> I know Real Player is the fault, I had to install update to watch a
    > >> wedding
    > >> video last week and now it's gone wrong. I can't tell my visitors to
    > >> uninstall RealPlayer- according to my stats the 2 most visited pages are
    > >> ones that hold 6 and 13 mp3s.

    > > I didn't say to tell your visitors to uninstall it. You should
    > > uninstall it to determine if it is the cause of the problem.

    > Uninstalled, problem solved.
    >
    > >> Maybe 'Modify' was not the correct term (I'm not a script ace), telling a
    > >> movie not to start until you click a button is very simple in the
    > >> program,
    > >> object and script even for me.

    > > I don't know what you mean by that, but modifying the JavaScript that
    > > writes the Flash tags is not going to help with this problem.

    > >> I suppose I need a script that tells RealPlayer to pss off.

    > > There is no such thing. You should tell it to Adobe instead.

    > Well, I'm going to try standard scriptless versions with RP installed, and
    > if the problem continues I may have to leave the big warning signs at the
    > top of the music pages.

    Or you could go with one song per page or find a script that swaps
    object tags.

    > I hope you don't think I am ignoring you but using Flash as a media player
    > (should) gives (gave) you so much more control over your pages with no need
    > for a streamer.

    I don't agree. I wouldn't even use it for video, let alone audio.

    > Del
    >
    > PS even YouTube are using Flash as video players but these are set to start

    They are stupid.
    David Mark, Oct 2, 2007
  12. dE|_

    dE|_ Guest

    "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <> wrote in message
    > dE|_ wrote:
    >> Cross-Browser issues: Firefox etc doesn't recognise <object> so you have
    >> use <embed> as well which doesn't validate.

    > Firefox of all browsers supports the `object' element best; you only have
    > use it properly. As for other browsers, it is IE that makes the exception
    > of erroneously interpreting the content of the element if it has a media
    > object even if the outer media object type is supported.

    Can you extend on that please with a link or likewise; I again removed the
    <embed> repetition of all the <object> param/values and again IE worked fine
    yet FF displayed my alternative content.
    Just finished evening's tuition and in a bit of a different zone.

    dE|_, Oct 2, 2007
  13. dE|_

    David Mark Guest

    On Oct 2, 11:49 am, "dE|_" <> wrote:
    > "David Mark" <> wrote in message

    > > On Oct 1, 8:02 pm, "dE|_" <> wrote:
    > >> For months I have been happily using a downloaded JS file and inline
    > >> script
    > >> to embed and control the parameters of SWF files which I use as mp3
    > >> players
    > >> with actionscript.

    > >> The last so.addParam controls the simple function auto-play; OFF but
    > >> since

    > > What so.addParam?

    > >> recent real player installations this has been taking over starting them
    > >> all
    > >> off and even offering downloads.

    > >> This may be annoying for some writers but it is critical for the site I
    > >> use
    > >> this on as some pages hold multiple SWF mp3 players- as many as 13, which
    > >> now all start together!

    > > Why are you using Flash to embed audio? Why not use object tags? And
    > > why would you have 13 Flash movies on one page?! Sounds like bad luck
    > > to me.

    > >>http://www.crackguitar.com/audio/loops/knowyourenemy.html

    > >> Just a drum machine loop, nothing nasty.

    > >>http://www.crackguitar.com/swfobject_1.4/swfobject.js

    > > I recognize that script. It is another reason not to use Flash on the
    > > Web. It is better than Adobe's own deployment kit, but that isn't
    > > saying much.

    > >> Is there a way to modify this to tell Real Player to keep off the stage?

    > > Modify the script? I don't see how that will help. Try uninstalling
    > > RealPlayer and see if the problem goes away. I suspect the root of
    > > the problem is in the Flash app.

    > Tested traditional XHTML <object> & <embed> version using machine with RP

    Are you really using XHTML? Realize that HTML and XHTML are not the
    same thing. Your page doesn't sound like it needs XHTML.

    > still on it... RP still wants to take over the world like he's been drinking
    > Stella so it is not a swfobject.js issue.
    > Flash mp3 player's been working fine for probably 9 months until a RP
    > upgrade last week[1] and now it is overriding basic and vital actionscript:
    > DON'T START UNTIL TOLD TO.
    >
    > Wonder what Adobe think to that?...

    They don't think at all. Just read their documentation/code samples
    or spend a few minutes in one of their support forums.
    David Mark, Oct 2, 2007
  14. dE|_

    dE|_ Guest

    Re: Real Player /Final Assesment/

    "David Mark" wrote
    > Are you really using XHTML? Realize that HTML and XHTML are not the
    > same thing. Your page doesn't sound like it needs XHTML.

    Dunno, Flash 8 puts this at the top;
    but you say the swfobject script won't work with X.

    You tell me.

    I'll get back on the case tomorrow or after a beer, my head is still buzzing
    with Marylin Manson and T-Rex

    dE|_, Oct 2, 2007
  15. dE|_

    David Mark Guest

    On Oct 2, 3:51 pm, "dE|_" <> wrote:
    > "David Mark" wrote
    >
    > > Are you really using XHTML? Realize that HTML and XHTML are not the
    > > same thing. Your page doesn't sound like it needs XHTML.

    > Dunno, Flash 8 puts this at the top;

    What do you mean Flash puts that at the top? Do you mean some IDE
    from Adobe generates pages like that? If so, that is further
    confirmation that Adobe's developers are out of their minds.

    > but you say the swfobject script won't work with X.

    It won't and it doesn't output extra slashes in its param tags.

    > You tell me.

    You are serving XHTML as HTML, which is the only reason that your page
    actually renders.
    David Mark, Oct 3, 2007
  16. dE|_

    dE|_ Guest

    Re: Real Player /Final Assesment/

    "David Mark" wrote

    >> > Are you really using XHTML? Realize that HTML and XHTML are not the
    >> > same thing. Your page doesn't sound like it needs XHTML.

    >> Dunno, Flash 8 puts this at the top;

    > What do you mean Flash puts that at the top? Do you mean some IDE
    > from Adobe generates pages like that? If so, that is further
    > confirmation that Adobe's developers are out of their minds.

    Yes, when you hit 'publish' Flash knocks out a page of HTML full of the
    neccesary object and embed tags to hold it for you with that DTD at the top.
    Usualy you/I would just copy the tags and paste them into the required page
    but in the case of this site I left them as were, to be displayed in
    iframes.

    >> but you say the swfobject script won't work with X.

    > It won't and it doesn't output extra slashes in its param tags.

    Do you mean the slashes />

    >> You tell me.

    > You are serving XHTML as HTML, which is the only reason that your page
    > actually renders.

    I will put my hand up and admit I don't know sht about XHTML or what you
    mean by that but all Flash code is in iframes as I predicted stuff like this
    and wanted to keep it away from the rest.

    Del
    dE|_, Oct 3, 2007
  17. dE|_

    David Mark Guest

    On Oct 3, 5:37 am, "dE|_" <> wrote:
    > "David Mark" wrote

    > >> Dunno, Flash 8 puts this at the top;

    > > What do you mean Flash puts that at the top? Do you mean some IDE
    > > from Adobe generates pages like that? If so, that is further
    > > confirmation that Adobe's developers are out of their minds.

    > Yes, when you hit 'publish' Flash knocks out a page of HTML full of the
    > neccesary object and embed tags to hold it for you with that DTD at the top.
    > Usualy you/I would just copy the tags and paste them into the required page
    > but in the case of this site I left them as were, to be displayed in
    > iframes.

    Okay, but realize that these are not real XHTML pages. It is
    laughable that Adobe's tool outputs them with XHTML doctypes.

    > >> but you say the swfobject script won't work with X.

    > > It won't and it doesn't output extra slashes in its param tags.

    > Do you mean the slashes />

    Yes.
    David Mark, Oct 4, 2007