    good Ruby practices / idioms and why not contribute to them? I am fed up
    with the stupid code examples we find in books.

    The Ruby on Rails code is a bit too complex to start with I guess.

    Fernando Perez, Sep 30, 2008

  2. Fernando Perez

    Lex Williams Guest

    I think http://pleac.sf.net is the site you need to visit.

    Lex Williams, Sep 30, 2008

  3. Your link seems very interesting and cool to learn from and can very
    very helpful to jump from one language to another.

    Fernando Perez, Sep 30, 2008
  4. 2008/9/30 Fernando Perez <>:
    > Your link seems very interesting and cool to learn from and can very
    > very helpful to jump from one language to another.

    I had a quick look at
    http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ruby/processmanagementetc.html and
    I must say this is far from correct or ideal. Issues I have spotted
    on first check:

    readme = IO.popen("ls") # does not use block form

    $stdout = writeme # must be $stdout.reopen(writeme)

    Process.waitpid(pid, 0) # should come after the read loop otherwise
    deadlock may occur

    Kind regards

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Sep 30, 2008
  5. Fernando Perez

    Lex Williams Guest

    Robert Klemme wrote:
    > 2008/9/30 Fernando Perez <>:
    >> Your link seems very interesting and cool to learn from and can very
    >> very helpful to jump from one language to another.

    > I had a quick look at
    > http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ruby/processmanagementetc.html and
    > I must say this is far from correct or ideal. Issues I have spotted
    > on first check:
    >
    > readme = IO.popen("ls") # does not use block form
    >
    > $stdout = writeme # must be $stdout.reopen(writeme)
    >
    > Process.waitpid(pid, 0) # should come after the read loop otherwise
    > deadlock may occur
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > robert

    Robert , pleac is "a work in progress" . Anyone can make contributions
    to it . It would be great if you would submit corrections to bugs you
    found , if you can spare the time , of course .

    Lex

    Lex Williams, Sep 30, 2008
  6. > Robert , pleac is "a work in progress" . Anyone can make contributions
    > to it . It would be great if you would submit corrections to bugs you
    > found , if you can spare the time , of course .
    >
    > Lex

    Argh too bad there are not always good coding practices, that's a reason
    why I avoid looking at refactormycode for instance, there are too many
    funky solutions proposed.

    Fernando Perez, Sep 30, 2008
  7. 2008/9/30 Lex Williams <>:
    > Robert Klemme wrote:
    >> 2008/9/30 Fernando Perez <>:
    >>> Your link seems very interesting and cool to learn from and can very
    >>> very helpful to jump from one language to another.

    >> I had a quick look at
    >> http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ruby/processmanagementetc.html and
    >> I must say this is far from correct or ideal. Issues I have spotted
    >> on first check:
    >>
    >> readme = IO.popen("ls") # does not use block form
    >>
    >> $stdout = writeme # must be $stdout.reopen(writeme)
    >>
    >> Process.waitpid(pid, 0) # should come after the read loop otherwise
    >> deadlock may occur
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >>
    >> robert

    > Robert , pleac is "a work in progress" . Anyone can make contributions
    > to it . It would be great if you would submit corrections to bugs you
    > found , if you can spare the time , of course .

    I know. But time is lacking ATM. :)

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Sep 30, 2008
  8. Hi --

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Lex Williams wrote:

    > Robert Klemme wrote:
    >> 2008/9/30 Fernando Perez <>:
    >>> Your link seems very interesting and cool to learn from and can very
    >>> very helpful to jump from one language to another.

    >> I had a quick look at
    >> http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ruby/processmanagementetc.html and
    >> I must say this is far from correct or ideal. Issues I have spotted
    >> on first check:
    >>
    >> readme = IO.popen("ls") # does not use block form
    >>
    >> $stdout = writeme # must be $stdout.reopen(writeme)
    >>
    >> Process.waitpid(pid, 0) # should come after the read loop otherwise
    >> deadlock may occur
    >>
    >> Kind regards
    >>
    >> robert

    > Robert , pleac is "a work in progress" . Anyone can make contributions
    > to it . It would be great if you would submit corrections to bugs you
    > found , if you can spare the time , of course .

    I submitted some suggestions a few years ago, I think involving
    switching something so that it used a block, and I was told that that
    wouldn't be good because it wasn't similar enough to other languages
    to compare.

    I got the impression that pleac was mostly Perl being written in a
    variety of languages, but I haven't looked at it in a while.

    David

    Intro to Ruby on Rails January 12-15 Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Advancing with Rails January 19-22 Fort Lauderdale, FL *
    * Co-taught with Patrick Ewing!

    David A. Black, Sep 30, 2008
  9. Fernando Perez

    Axel Etzold Guest

    -------- Original-Nachricht --------
    > Datum: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 23:51:18 +0900
    > Von: Fernando Perez <>
    > Betreff: Re: Real world ruby programs to learn from

    > > Robert , pleac is "a work in progress" . Anyone can make contributions
    > > to it . It would be great if you would submit corrections to bugs you
    > > found , if you can spare the time , of course .
    > >
    > > Lex
    > >

    > Argh too bad there are not always good coding practices, that's a reason
    > why I avoid looking at refactormycode for instance, there are too many
    > funky solutions proposed.

    Dear Fernando,

    I think a good place to look at many solutions to many problems and sometimes very
    insightful comments is the Rubyquiz site:

    http://rubyquiz.com/

    Best regards,

    Axel

    Axel Etzold, Sep 30, 2008
  10. On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Axel Etzold <> wrote:

    > I think a good place to look at many solutions to many problems and sometimes very
    > insightful comments is the Rubyquiz site:

    Actually, just this once I would not recommend the rubyquiz site - the
    programs there aren't written with an eye on maintainability.

    martin

    Martin DeMello, Sep 30, 2008
  11. Fernando Perez

    Todd Benson Guest

    On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Martin DeMello <> wrote:
    > On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Axel Etzold <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I think a good place to look at many solutions to many problems and sometimes very
    >> insightful comments is the Rubyquiz site:

    > Actually, just this once I would not recommend the rubyquiz site - the
    > programs there aren't written with an eye on maintainability.
    >
    > martin

    I agree with martin. There are only a handful of quizes that have
    real-world applicability, and of the answers to those, only a small
    percentage exhibiting good coding practices (my own included).

    If someone hasn't already mentioned this, look at some of the stdlib
    code, and cast your glance over the many projects on rubyforge.

    Todd

    Todd Benson, Sep 30, 2008
  12. Fernando Perez

    Nit Khair Guest

    Fernando Perez wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can you recommend some Ruby projects in which I can have a look to learn
    > good Ruby practices / idioms and why not contribute to them? I am fed up
    > with the stupid code examples we find in books.
    >
    > The Ruby on Rails code is a bit too complex to start with I guess.

    Yes, I too am on the lookout for some good, working _projects_ that i
    can look at the source code and understand how small to medium size
    projects are structured and coded.
    *Not* samples, tutorials, snippets etc. I am writing my first ruby app
    (after writing a lot of small one-file scripts) - please suggest a few
    project names.

    Nit Khair, Oct 2, 2008