Recommend a debugger for g++/Windows?

user

Can anybody recommend a good debugger for use with g++(mingw) under
Windows? I have been used to Visual C++ so all the open source offerings
I have tried so far seem very crude by comparison. (Something that also
runs under Linux would be great.)

Peter

Mirek Fidler

Can anybody recommend a good debugger for use with g++(mingw) under
Windows? I have been used to Visual C++ so all the open source offerings
I have tried so far seem very crude by comparison. (Something that also
runs under Linux would be great.)

Have you tried U++? http://upp.sf.net (it also runs under Linux :)

Mirek

user

Mirek said:
Have you tried U++? http://upp.sf.net (it also runs under Linux :)

Mirek

I have downloaded U++ but I cannot understand what you do with it! I
can't even see how you build a "hello world" program with this? What
does this program mean by a "package"? As the web page says, the weak
point is lack of documentation...

Peter

Mirek Fidler

I have downloaded U++ but I cannot understand what you do with it! I
can't even see how you build a "hello world" program with this? What
does this program mean by a "package"? As the web page says, the weak
point is lack of documentation...

That is true, but it is not as bad for description of packages and
project organization:

http://upp.sourceforge.net/app$GettingStarted$en-us.html
http://upp.sourceforge.net/app$Organization$en-us.html

In short, package is kind of module (in source form). It can represent
your executable or library. Important part here is that packages have
defined dependency - if it is your executable (main package), it knows
what other packages it needs to compile.

Mirek

Michael O'Keeffe

Can anybody recommend a good debugger for use with g++(mingw) under
Windows? I have been used to Visual C++ so all the open source offerings
I have tried so far seem very crude by comparison. (Something that also
runs under Linux would be great.)
Eclipse/CDT provides a debugger, using GDB:

http://eclipse.org/cdt/

And:
http://met.dnsalias.net:1111/teaching/cdt/

Here's a interesting review of using Eclipse/CDT with Mozilla:
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roc/archives/2005/06/eclipse_cdt.html