Redirect multiple domains pointing to the same folder

Greg

I like the Web hosting site I'm using (though alternate hosting suggestions are welcome), and it allows me to point mulitple domains to the root folder for free, but it charges extra for pointing them to folders.

But here's my issue:

If I could just point each domain to a different folder, then every site is self-contained. But in my case, they will all be pointing to the same (root) folder.

What I'm looking for is a way to have Site1.com and Site2.com, both pointing to the 'Root' folder, transparently be redirected/transferred to folders 'Roots/Site1' and 'Root/Site2' (effectively making it look like the domains were actually pointing to the folders even though they really aren't).

I can use .NET Framework 1.1 or 2.0 (though I haven't had a chance to play with 2.0 yet), and I prefer to use C#.

Thanks.
Greg

Greg

Yes, I'm using WebHost4Life. I've searched around for others, but this one seems pretty solid and keeps up-to-date with things.

I've looked at Response.Redirect, but was hoping for something more transparent, as if I were actually pointing the domain to the folder.

I'd like the users to be able to use URLs such as "http://www.site1.com/foo/bar/default.aspx" while transparently in the background, the server would serve up "http://www.site1.com/site1/foo/bar/default.aspx".

There has to be some way to do this so that the user doesn't have an extra folder listed in the address, and doesn't need to ever know about the extra folder.

Ideas?

Darren Kopp

Well, it's possible, but i'm not sure if it's possible for you since
you are on a shared webhost. Even if you had your own server, it would
not be worth it through asp.net, but then again if you had your own
server you wouldn't be in this problem. The only route you will
probably be able to go is to have 1 application, but serve up different
content based on the url, similar to a portal application. I doubt
that's what you want to do, but that's about all you can do. Maybe
have each applicaiton do some url rewriting to make it look more
consistent?

If it were me, I would just make the folder seem like that's where they
need to be (like NetApp or somethin).

Best of luck with what you decide to do,
Darren Kopp
http://blog.secudocs.com/