redirector files

Discussion in 'HTML' started by a human person, Dec 2, 2006.

  1. hello, i am soon going to be putting some (streaming) video files on a
    website i am building but i am having trouble with
    either

    a - my redirector file
    b - my browser configuration

    ive got a (test) wvx redirector file to work in IE (by telling my download
    manager to ignore such files)
    but in opera and firefox clicking on the link just opens the wvx file in a
    new page

    i followed spartanicus' (from his why embedding is wrong page) words
    exactly - or i hope i have

    anyway the link is http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/php/afghan.php and it is
    down at the bottom
    - korean test stream -

    would it be possible for any of you to go and have a try tell me what
    happens and maybe make some suggestions.

    thankyou very muchos

    kev

    a human person, Dec 2, 2006

  2. kev:

    It is a petty point, but if you must obfuscate your real email, you
    really, really should not choose anything that could be a valid domain.

    "" would work because "email" is not a valid TLD but
    your "nperson.com" is and whois:

    # Registrant:
    # Charles Yu
    # 819-1 Ilgok-dong Puk-gu
    # hyundai 3 Apt. 303-1202
    # Gwangju, . 500160
    # KR
    #
    # Registrar: DOTSTER
    # Domain Name: NPERSON.COM
    # Created on: 11-MAY-03
    # Expires on: 11-MAY-07
    # Last Updated on: 27-MAR-06
    #

    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 2, 2006

  3. "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message
    > kev:
    >
    > It is a petty point, but if you must obfuscate your real email, you
    > really, really should not choose anything that could be a valid domain.
    >
    > "" would work because "email" is not a valid TLD but
    > your "nperson.com" is and whois:
    >
    > # Registrant:
    > # Charles Yu
    > # 819-1 Ilgok-dong Puk-gu
    > # hyundai 3 Apt. 303-1202
    > # Gwangju, . 500160
    > # KR
    > #
    > # Registrar: DOTSTER
    > # Domain Name: NPERSON.COM
    > # Created on: 11-MAY-03
    > # Expires on: 11-MAY-07
    > # Last Updated on: 27-MAR-06
    > #

    > Take care,

    crumbs sorry i never realised (i shall change it)... but the amount of spam
    i am still getting from using my real email address from years ago is the
    reason i no longer use it unless asked.... thanks for your help though.

    a human person, Dec 2, 2006
  4. a human person

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    a human person wrote:
    > hello, i am soon going to be putting some (streaming) video files on a
    > website i am building but i am having trouble with
    > either
    >
    > a - my redirector file
    > b - my browser configuration
    >
    > ive got a (test) wvx redirector file to work in IE (by telling my download
    > manager to ignore such files)
    > but in opera and firefox clicking on the link just opens the wvx file in a
    > new page
    >
    > i followed spartanicus' (from his why embedding is wrong page) words
    > exactly - or i hope i have
    >
    > anyway the link is http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/php/afghan.php and it is
    > down at the bottom
    > - korean test stream -
    >
    > would it be possible for any of you to go and have a try tell me what
    > happens and maybe make some suggestions.

    At http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/php/afghan.php you have:

    korean test stream (wmv - 6.5mb) &rarr; <a
    href="../korea.wvx"type="video/x-ms-wmv">Stream</a> / Download

    The above line seems to be missing a space between " and type.

    Also, sometimes using the full url is best, but a relative one usually
    works.

    afghan ladies' driving school (quicktime - 33mb) &rarr; Stream /
    Download

    afghan ladies' driving school (real - 33mb) &rarr; Stream / Download

    I usually use an embedded video, because I can control the video size,
    and a full screen video on the WMP often is too grainy unless a very
    high speed broadband video file is used. Your wvx and wmv files seem to
    be correct and working, because I can get them to work using my method.
    See http://www.cwdjr.info/temp/NGdriving.php .

    cwdjrxyz, Dec 2, 2006
  5. "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message

    > a human person wrote:
    > > hello, i am soon going to be putting some (streaming) video files on a
    > > website i am building but i am having trouble with
    > > either
    > >
    > > a - my redirector file
    > > b - my browser configuration
    > >
    > > ive got a (test) wvx redirector file to work in IE (by telling my

    download
    > > manager to ignore such files)
    > > but in opera and firefox clicking on the link just opens the wvx file in

    > > new page
    > >
    > > i followed spartanicus' (from his why embedding is wrong page) words
    > > exactly - or i hope i have
    > >
    > > anyway the link is http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/php/afghan.php and

    it is
    > > down at the bottom
    > > - korean test stream -
    > >
    > > would it be possible for any of you to go and have a try tell me what
    > > happens and maybe make some suggestions.

    > At http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/php/afghan.php you have:

    > korean test stream (wmv - 6.5mb) &rarr; <a
    > href="../korea.wvx"type="video/x-ms-wmv">Stream</a> / Download
    >
    > The above line seems to be missing a space between " and type.
    >
    > Also, sometimes using the full url is best, but a relative one usually
    > works.

    cheers i'll try the gap and the full url bits and see if that helps

    a human person, Dec 2, 2006
  6. "a human person" <> wrote in message

    > "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > a human person wrote:
    > > > hello, i am soon going to be putting some (streaming) video files on a
    > > > website i am building but i am having trouble with
    > > > either
    > > >
    > > > a - my redirector file
    > > > b - my browser configuration
    > > >
    > > > ive got a (test) wvx redirector file to work in IE (by telling my

    > download
    > > > manager to ignore such files)
    > > > but in opera and firefox clicking on the link just opens the wvx file

    in
    > > > new page
    > > >
    > > > i followed spartanicus' (from his why embedding is wrong page) words
    > > > exactly - or i hope i have
    > > >
    > > > anyway the link is http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/php/afghan.php and

    > it is
    > > > down at the bottom
    > > > - korean test stream -
    > > >
    > > > would it be possible for any of you to go and have a try tell me what
    > > > happens and maybe make some suggestions.

    > > At http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/php/afghan.php you have:

    > > korean test stream (wmv - 6.5mb) &rarr; <a
    > > href="../korea.wvx"type="video/x-ms-wmv">Stream</a> / Download
    > >
    > > The above line seems to be missing a space between " and type.
    > >
    > > Also, sometimes using the full url is best, but a relative one usually
    > > works.
    > >

    > cheers i'll try the gap and the full url bits and see if that helps

    damn no sadly it made no difference. still got problem with opera and
    firefox... thanks for
    taking the time to have a look.

    a human person, Dec 3, 2006
  7. a human person

    David Segall Guest

    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    >kev:
    >
    >It is a petty point, but if you must obfuscate your real email, you
    >really, really should not choose anything that could be a valid domain.
    >
    >"" would work because "email" is not a valid TLD

    It seems sensible to use .invalid for this purpose because it has been
    reserved for it. <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt>

    David Segall, Dec 3, 2006
  8. a human person

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    cwdjrxyz wrote:
    > a human person wrote:
    > > hello, i am soon going to be putting some (streaming) video files on a
    > > website i am building but i am having trouble with
    > > either
    > >
    > > a - my redirector file
    > > b - my browser configuration
    > >
    > > ive got a (test) wvx redirector file to work in IE (by telling my download
    > > manager to ignore such files)
    > > but in opera and firefox clicking on the link just opens the wvx file in a
    > > new page
    > >
    > > i followed spartanicus' (from his why embedding is wrong page) words
    > > exactly - or i hope i have
    > >
    > > anyway the link is http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/php/afghan.php and it is
    > > down at the bottom
    > > - korean test stream -
    > >
    > > would it be possible for any of you to go and have a try tell me what
    > > happens and maybe make some suggestions.

    > At http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/php/afghan.php you have:

    > korean test stream (wmv - 6.5mb) &rarr; <a
    > href="../korea.wvx"type="video/x-ms-wmv">Stream</a> / Download
    >
    > The above line seems to be missing a space between " and type.
    >
    > Also, sometimes using the full url is best, but a relative one usually
    > works.

    > afghan ladies' driving school (quicktime - 33mb) &rarr; Stream /
    > Download

    > afghan ladies' driving school (real - 33mb) &rarr; Stream / Download

    > I usually use an embedded video, because I can control the video size,
    > and a full screen video on the WMP often is too grainy unless a very
    > high speed broadband video file is used. Your wvx and wmv files seem to
    > be correct and working, because I can get them to work using my method.
    > See http://www.cwdjr.info/temp/NGdriving.php .

    You have something very strange going on. First see my page at
    http://www.cwdjr.info/temp/NGdriving2.php . Since this video streams at
    about 2 Mbps, it will only start streaming without much buffering on a
    very good broadband connection. Here the essential video code of the
    type you are using is working just fine on IE6, Mozilla family, and
    Opera. Everything is on my domain. However if I substitute the url for
    your wvx file, the code does not work right. However when I use my
    embedded player with reference to your wvx file it works in the
    mentioned browsers. Besides the missing space I mentioned, the type
    should be type="video/x-ms-wvx" since you are using a wvx file here,
    but this is not the problem.

    I can think of a few things that could cause this strange behavior. The
    proper mime types might not be installed on all of the servers you are
    using. There could be a security problem. Opera and Mozilla family
    might be set not to allow transfer to a url in another domain in some
    cases. If you can control the server you are using, my first stop would
    be to check mime types and be sure the correct ones for .wmv and .wvx
    are set; set them if not. Then I would install the .wmv video that is
    on another server on your server. I would put all of the files in the
    same directory to make things as simple as possible.

    cwdjrxyz, Dec 3, 2006
  9. "cwdjrxyz" <> wrote in message

    > cwdjrxyz wrote:
    > > a human person wrote:
    > > > hello, i am soon going to be putting some (streaming) video files on a
    > > > website i am building but i am having trouble with
    > > > either
    > > >
    > > > a - my redirector file
    > > > b - my browser configuration
    > > >
    > > > ive got a (test) wvx redirector file to work in IE (by telling my

    download
    > > > manager to ignore such files)
    > > > but in opera and firefox clicking on the link just opens the wvx file

    in a
    > > > new page
    > > >
    > > > i followed spartanicus' (from his why embedding is wrong page) words
    > > > exactly - or i hope i have
    > > >
    > > > anyway the link is http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/php/afghan.php and

    it is
    > > > down at the bottom
    > > > - korean test stream -
    > > >
    > > > would it be possible for any of you to go and have a try tell me what
    > > > happens and maybe make some suggestions.

    > > At http://www.207g.karoo.net/langan/php/afghan.php you have:

    > > korean test stream (wmv - 6.5mb) &rarr; <a
    > > href="../korea.wvx"type="video/x-ms-wmv">Stream</a> / Download
    > >
    > > The above line seems to be missing a space between " and type.
    > >
    > > Also, sometimes using the full url is best, but a relative one usually
    > > works.

    > > afghan ladies' driving school (quicktime - 33mb) &rarr; Stream /
    > > Download

    > > afghan ladies' driving school (real - 33mb) &rarr; Stream / Download

    > > I usually use an embedded video, because I can control the video size,
    > > and a full screen video on the WMP often is too grainy unless a very
    > > high speed broadband video file is used. Your wvx and wmv files seem to
    > > be correct and working, because I can get them to work using my method.
    > > See http://www.cwdjr.info/temp/NGdriving.php .

    that works in IE anf Firefox for me but not Opera, Opera just shows the text
    in the wvx file where the video should be...
    but as i said it might be my settings, and if its my settings it could be
    everyones settings, which makes
    the decision not to embed potentially more problematic than i thought.

    > You have something very strange going on. First see my page at
    > http://www.cwdjr.info/temp/NGdriving2.php .

    ooh this works fine in IE Opera and Firefox

    Since this video streams at
    > about 2 Mbps, it will only start streaming without much buffering on a
    > very good broadband connection. Here the essential video code of the
    > type you are using is working just fine on IE6, Mozilla family, and
    > Opera. Everything is on my domain. However if I substitute the url for
    > your wvx file, the code does not work right. However when I use my
    > embedded player with reference to your wvx file it works in the
    > mentioned browsers. Besides the missing space I mentioned, the type
    > should be type="video/x-ms-wvx" since you are using a wvx file here,
    > but this is not the problem.
    >
    > I can think of a few things that could cause this strange behavior. The
    > proper mime types might not be installed on all of the servers you are
    > using. There could be a security problem. Opera and Mozilla family
    > might be set not to allow transfer to a url in another domain in some
    > cases. If you can control the server you are using, my first stop would
    > be to check mime types and be sure the correct ones for .wmv and .wvx
    > are set; set them if not. Then I would install the .wmv video that is
    > on another server on your server. I would put all of the files in the
    > same directory to make things as simple as possible.

    hmmm, for the time being the server belongs to 1&1, i just put the wmv file
    on some space i have with them but at the moment the website (and wvx file)
    linking to it is
    not on 1&1, though hopefully soon i will be able to bring them all together
    in the same place and do some more fiddling to get it working...

    though it has got me thinking about the embed or not to embed argument and
    whether or not the default security (would it be security?) settings on
    peoples browsers would
    stop the redirector file from working, in which case they may have to go
    changing their settings which they may be scared of, or not know how to do,
    whereas embedding would mean they might just
    have to download a plugin to get it to work arghghg oh its confusing me now,
    i wish i was more technically minded. Anyway i shall attempt soon to get
    them all together on the same server in the same folders and see what
    happens then. so i may be back at a later date to bother you again if thats
    ok.. jeez i hate hangovers.

    thanks again for everything.

    a human person, Dec 3, 2006