  1. Hi all,

    I'm wondering, is redundant linking seen as a usability problem?
    Personally it seems to be a good aid to navigation but I thought I'd check.

    JustAnotherGuy, Dec 28, 2003

  2. JustAnotherGuy

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:bsnfhp$e6l86$-berlin.de>
    JustAnotherGuy said:

    > I'm wondering, is redundant linking seen as a usability problem?
    > Personally it seems to be a good aid to navigation but I thought I'd check.

    if you're talking linking every page to every other page then it would
    be overkill.

    --
    brucie
    29/December/2003 08:13:11 am kilo

    brucie, Dec 28, 2003

  3. brucie wrote:
    > in post <news:bsnfhp$e6l86$-berlin.de>
    > JustAnotherGuy said:
    >

    >>I'm wondering, is redundant linking seen as a usability problem?
    >>Personally it seems to be a good aid to navigation but I thought I'd check.

    > if you're talking linking every page to every other page then it would
    > be overkill.

    *laughs*

    No, indeed not. I mean, if you have say a permanent navigation feature
    that links to /page.html, now you have page2.html. On page2.html, you
    think the content would probably lead the reader to page.html, so
    provide another link in the body of the content. I guess it's obviously
    no problem but i've seen things that seemed to me to be no problems
    (home page linking to itself) that are... hence thought i'd verify.

    JustAnotherGuy, Dec 28, 2003
  4. brucie <> wrote:
    > if you're talking linking every page to every other page then it would
    > be overkill.

    Isn't that a site menu?
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com

    Michael Wilcox, Dec 28, 2003
  5. JustAnotherGuy

    kayodeok Guest

    kayodeok, Dec 28, 2003
  6. "JustAnotherGuy" <> wrote in message
    > brucie wrote:
    > > in post <news:bsnfhp$e6l86$-berlin.de>
    > > JustAnotherGuy said:
    > >

    > >>I'm wondering, is redundant linking seen as a usability problem?
    > >>Personally it seems to be a good aid to navigation but I thought I'd

    check.

    > > if you're talking linking every page to every other page then it would
    > > be overkill.
    > >

    > *laughs*
    >
    > No, indeed not. I mean, if you have say a permanent navigation feature
    > that links to /page.html, now you have page2.html. On page2.html, you
    > think the content would probably lead the reader to page.html, so
    > provide another link in the body of the content. I guess it's obviously
    > no problem but i've seen things that seemed to me to be no problems
    > (home page linking to itself) that are... hence thought i'd verify.

    From a usability point of view it is often very handy to have additional
    entry points to pages on your website. In particular if you are talking
    about links that are part of the content it puts them into a context which
    can help the user understand what to expect under the particular section. As
    long as you don't link every single word of your text to another page, I
    think it should be fine.

    Fredo Vincentis, Dec 28, 2003
  7. JustAnotherGuy

    rf Guest

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm wondering, is redundant linking seen as a usability problem?

    Depends what your definition of redundant linking is.

    Maybe not usability, may be confusability.

    > Personally it seems to be a good aid to navigation but I thought I'd

    check.

    How do you intend to achieve this?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 29, 2003
  8. rf wrote:
    > "JustAnotherGuy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I'm wondering, is redundant linking seen as a usability problem?

    > Depends what your definition of redundant linking is.

    Three links on a page with different text within the <a> tags pointing
    to the same place.

    JustAnotherGuy, Dec 29, 2003
  9. JustAnotherGuy

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    JustAnotherGuy <> wrote in

    > No, indeed not. I mean, if you have say a permanent navigation feature
    > that links to /page.html, now you have page2.html. On page2.html, you
    > think the content would probably lead the reader to page.html, so
    > provide another link in the body of the content. I guess it's

    That's a good idea because you can't be sure just *how* the reader arrived
    on page2.html. He might have come there from a search engine or from a URL
    typed in from a napkin a friend had scribbled on. You can't be sure he
    came there from page 1.

    > obviously no problem but i've seen things that seemed to me to be no
    > problems (home page linking to itself) that are... hence thought i'd
    > verify.

    Pages that link to themselves are a problem because the link misleads the
    reader into thinking that following it will take him somewhere else, when
    in fact all it does is create a duplicate entry in his browser history,
    causing nothing to happen the next time he hits his back button. Obviously
    not good for usability.

    Eric Bohlman, Dec 29, 2003
  10. JustAnotherGuy

    rf Guest

    > rf wrote:
    > > "JustAnotherGuy" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Hi all,
    > >>
    > >>I'm wondering, is redundant linking seen as a usability problem?

    > > Depends what your definition of redundant linking is.

    > Three links on a page with different text within the <a> tags pointing
    > to the same place.

    Oh, as I suspected. Bloody confusing.

    Don't do it.

    Cheers