    symbol perl_get_sv: referenced symbol not found

    How can I get the new Perl to call UDUNITS correctly?

    Thanks!!!

    Randy Rokosz, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Randy Rokosz

    John Porter Guest

    Randy Rokosz wrote:
    > On a Solaris 7 machine, I had Perl 5.005_03 running with UDUNITS
    > successfully.
    > I then upgraded perl to 5.8.0 and placed this in /usr/local/bin/perl,
    > I copied some of these files from the /opt/gnu/lib structure
    > to the /usr/local/lib structure (perhaps incorrectly?), and now I get:
    > ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/perl: fatal: relocation error:
    > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/auto/UDUNITS/UDUNITS.so:
    > symbol perl_get_sv: referenced symbol not found

    The two version of perl are not binary compatible.
    That means that any modules with "binary" (i.e. compiled) code
    won't work for both.
    You'll need to re-compile UDUNITS for the 5.8 perl.
    First, you should delete anything you copied from the 5.003 perl.
    Even if a non-binary module from 5.003 works with 5.8, there's a
    good chance it won't be the latest and greatest.
    For maximum happiness, keep them separate!

    --
    John Douglas Porter

    John Porter, Jul 25, 2003

  3. Randy Rokosz <> wrote:

    > I had Perl 5.005_03

    > I then upgraded perl to 5.8.0

    > and now I get:
    >
    > ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/perl: fatal: relocation error:
    > /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/auto/UDUNITS/UDUNITS.so:
    > symbol perl_get_sv: referenced symbol not found

    Does UDUNITS have an XS component?

    Perl 5.8.0 is not binary compatible with earlier versions.

    > How can I get the new Perl to call UDUNITS correctly?

    Modules that use C code will need to be recompiled (reinstalled).

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Jul 25, 2003
  4. [OT] Re: reference symbol not found with UDUNITS

    Am I the only one who reads "UDUNITS" as "(wh)o-dun-its"?

    Jeff 'japhy' Pinyan, Jul 26, 2003
  5. Re: [OT] Re: reference symbol not found with UDUNITS

    In article
    <>,
    Jeff 'japhy' Pinyan wrote:

    > Am I the only one who reads "UDUNITS" as "(wh)o-dun-its"?

    Yes.

    :)

    DHA is the "Smorax", he is friends with the Twinkies and speaks for
    the Choc-O-Diles. - Mark Rogaski

    David H. Adler, Aug 26, 2003
  6. Randy Rokosz

    Uri Guttman Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: reference symbol not found with UDUNITS

    DHA> In article
    DHA> <>,
    DHA> Jeff 'japhy' Pinyan wrote:

    >> Am I the only one who reads "UDUNITS" as "(wh)o-dun-its"?

    DHA> Yes.

    my wife parses and pronounces whodunits as hod-units. as in how many hod
    units were needed by the killer.

    :)

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Aug 26, 2003