Refreshing Part of a Page

evanburen

Is it possible to refresh only part of a page rather than reload the
entire thing?

I have dropdown box that's populated from a database using ASP that I
need refreshed but I don't want to reload the entire page. Thanks.

McKirahan

Is it possible to refresh only part of a page rather than reload the
entire thing?

I have dropdown box that's populated from a database using ASP that I
need refreshed but I don't want to reload the entire page. Thanks.

Look into AJAX.

UnaCoder

Or make your own AJAX like cgi script. You don't need to go learn a
comprehensive programing language add on to do this easily. Simple
add a hidden iframe to your page. set the location/src of that iframe
to your ASP script, have the asp script return something like
html->script: parent.object.additem ( "item to add to list")

If that example is too vague I give you a more specific example.

evanburen

Would the dropdown box that I'm trying to repopulate have to be in the
hidden iframe?

UnaCoder

no. it would be part of the body. the ASP would load into the iframe,
it;s returned source should look like:

parent.getElementById("MyDropDownBox").addItem("Item Name");
</script></html>

or something like that, I don't remember the exact parameters. Check a
DOM ref guide, but I've tested code like that and got it to work before