Regex expression tester.

olczyk

I know that there exist in Perl, TCL and Lisp programs for testing regular
expressions.

These testers, you give the tester a string, type in some regex. As the
regex is entered it will show the string, highlighting the part that
matches. It is used for programmers in those language to
design their regex.

Of course one can take a regex made in one tester and use it in any
language. But my experience is that in almost any language, if you
construct a regex, it's better to do it using the same regex machine that
will be used when the program is run. Each engine has it's own little
idiosyncrancies. So it's better to use the same machine to test a regex
that it will be used with.

Is there some program that allowqs one to do this?