regexp to pars a HTML tag value

Mehdi Karamnejad

I want to replace the value inside a HTML tag with another value using
gsub function and regexp,what is the best regexp for this purpose?
puts MyStr.gsub(/"What Should Be the Regex?"/, "NewValue")
example:
above VALUE is what I want to replace with another value

Marnen Laibow-Koser

Mehdi said:
I want to replace the value inside a HTML tag with another value using
gsub function and regexp,what is the best regexp for this purpose?
puts MyStr.gsub(/"What Should Be the Regex?"/, "NewValue")
example:
above VALUE is what I want to replace with another value

If you expect any complexity at all in the structure of the HTML, then
regexes will be inadequate and you'll need to use a parser such as
Nokogiri.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org

Mike Dalessio

With Nokogiri, this would be:

fragment = Nokogiri::HTML.fragment(MyStr)
fragment.at_css("span#MySpan.current").content = 'another value'
puts fragment.to_html

Mehdi Karamnejad

I've used Nokogiri before, I don't want to use it in this scenario
because in the string there is only one tag(which is span) and it's
simple,any ideas?