Rejected Ruby book ideas by O'Reilly

Berger, Daniel

Hi all,

I'm curious how many people out there have had a Ruby book proposal
rejected by O'Reilly & Associates in the last three years, what your
subject was, when you proposed it, and the person whom you dealt with
(i.e. who specifically rejected your proposal).

This may seem a strange question - please humor me. You can email me
offlist if you prefer at djberg96 at n0spam at gmail dot com. Remove
the 'at n0spam'.

Please don't ask why I'm asking, either. I will say nothing at this
time. For now I'm just collecting information.

Thanks,

Dan

This communication is the property of Qwest and may contain confidential =
or
privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is =
strictly=20
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication =

in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and =
destroy=20

Berger, Daniel

I'm curious how many people out there have had a Ruby book=20
proposal rejected by O'Reilly & Associates in the last three=20
years...

<snip>

Let me expand that to the last five years (in case that matters).

Thanks,

Dan

This communication is the property of Qwest and may contain confidential =
or
privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is =
strictly=20
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication =

in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and =
destroy=20

Jonas Hartmann

[...snip...]
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication
lol

Peter Hickman

Presumably you will also want a list of all those who made successful
pitches, including those that then had to pull out for their own reasons.

Otherwise the numbers will mean nothing. I mean, just how many 'Ruby
Cookbooks' can their be?

Berger, Daniel

Presumably you will also want a list of all those who made successful=20
pitches, including those that then had to pull out for their=20
own reasons.

Fair enough. I'd be interested to hear about those, too.

Regards,

Dan

This communication is the property of Qwest and may contain confidential =
or
privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is =
strictly=20
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication =

in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and =
destroy=20

Paul Wood

What in the world are you talking about? Qwest is a telecom. We do not
publish books. There is no conflict of interest here. And there was no
criticism in my question. It's just a question. I think ORA is, on the
whole, a very good publisher.

Please, don't try to guess why I'm asking - it won't work.

Regards,

Dan

or
strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication
destroy

Berger, This is your boos.
You're fired for prattling on on company time.
I'll expect you out of the office by tomorrow !!!

Paul Wood

Paul said:
Berger, This is your boos.
You're fired for prattling on on company time.
I'll expect you out of the office by tomorrow !!!

Boos ?? Did I say Boos ? I meant boss :)

Dark Ambient

Berger, This is your boos.
You're fired for prattling on on company time.
I'll expect you out of the office by tomorrow !!!
Sounds harsh , till I read it came from boos.

OliverMarchand

From my point of view you might be ruining your chances to ever publish
a book with O'Reilly. You are asking people to give fairly confidential
information here. Maybe you should rethink you business practices.

To say something about O'Reilly. I had one book proposal rejected two
years ago. The process was very friendly, professional, fast and I was
enthusiastic that they really called me. We discussed the idea and I
could understand 100% that the proposal didn't work for them.

ciao, Oliver

Hal Fulton

Dark said:
Sounds harsh , till I read it came from boos.

Berger, this is your booze talking. What's this we hear
about you quitting Qwest to work for O'Reilly? That's a
blow to our fiber optic book publishing department.

Hal

Eero Saynatkari

Hi all,

I'm curious how many people out there have had a Ruby book proposal
rejected by O'Reilly & Associates in the last three years, what your
subject was, when you proposed it, and the person whom you dealt with
(i.e. who specifically rejected your proposal).

This may seem a strange question - please humor me. You can email me
offlist if you prefer at djberg96 at n0spam at gmail dot com. Remove
the 'at n0spam'.

Please don't ask why I'm asking, either. I will say nothing at this
time. For now I'm just collecting information.

You think you can exploit this loophole in the Rules?
Ha! I will show you! There is nothing my simian minions
cannot achieve given sufficient oranges.

You may have dealt me an underhanded blow but the Puppetmaster
will be Asking Questions soon and your backers will start
disappearing. You will have to deal with Jones then and
there is a distinctive variability present whenever that
is the case.

In any event, the Yon Syndicate is onto you--if I were you,
I would watch my back. They have bought out all printer ink
cartridge manufacturers and are planning on inserting vampires
in them in their bid to seize control of the Eastern New Jersey
seagull mines.
Thanks,

Dan

This is not the communication you are looking at.

William Crawford

Robert said:
A question to all native speakers,
is there a big difference (semantically, that word is 4 U Devin :))
between thread & threat, sounds all alike to me ;)

I hope you meant to be humorous with that, because ... well, it's
hilarious.

A 'thread' is a piece of string OR a conversation between multiple
people on a forum or list.

A 'threat' is when someone tells someone else they are going to hurt
them.

Now, it's humorous because quite often in heated discussions... The
majority of the thread is threats :D

No offense intended if you didn't mean to be funny... But it was.

Matt Todd

01. nil?

Awesome. I may well steal this! ;)

How about...

self.responds_to? :love

Or any manner of self-inspection or meta-self-cognition method calls...

Any _good_ ideas? :D

M.T.

Simen Edvardsen

Are you gonna write "Mastering O'Reilly Book Rejections"? Or
"Head-first Becoming an Unemployed Book Author"? :p

How about "Writing a Book for O'Reilly (And Have It Rejected!) in a Nutshell"?

Also, someone should write a for beginners book about writing books
for beginners. That would be funny just for the meta-ness of it.

William Grosso

Simen said:
How about "Writing a Book for O'Reilly (And Have It Rejected!) in a
Nutshell"?

Also, someone should write a for beginners book about writing books
for beginners. That would be funny just for the meta-ness of it.

I wrote a couple of O'Reilly books. I'm not going to write a book about
writing books, but I'd be glad to answer some questions (or introduce
prospective authors to my editors there).

Bill

Simen Edvardsen

I wrote a couple of O'Reilly books. I'm not going to write a book about
writing books, but I'd be glad to answer some questions (or introduce
prospective authors to my editors there).

I'm not planning to write a book, but perhaps that's what the original
poster was. I just thought the idea was amusing.