Relative-newbie Help...Please

Discussion in 'HTML' started by ., Jan 7, 2004.

  1. .

    . Guest

    Just about got a toe in the water but what I can't work out how to do is:-

    Some of the pages I access have two boxes onscreen , login and password and
    a button marked 'submit'-- not very important sites , but ones like
    YahooGroups and Fotopic.

    I have altered my IE6 home page to include a link, a logo, which when I
    double click links to the login page of the site. What I want to do is on my
    IE6 home page include the login and password 'in the coding' and instead of
    a logo, include a button which when deppressed will submit my login and
    password transparently.
    I have tried taking apart the coding from Fotopic and YahooGroups, but its
    way beyond me.

    There must be a simple line of coding which does this:-
    method='post login='login' password='password submit= href yahoogroups.com
    ( or whatever- I've just simplified it a bit)

    Is there anyone kind enough to enlighten me a bit on what is probably quite
    basic.
    Thanks

    ., Jan 7, 2004

  2. .. wrote:

    > I have altered my IE6 home page to include a link, a logo, which when I
    > double click links to the login page of the site. What I want to do is on my
    > IE6 home page include the login and password 'in the coding' and instead of
    > a logo, include a button which when deppressed will submit my login and
    > password transparently.

    The general idea is quite simple. You create a form something like this:

    <form action="http://www.example.org/login" method="post">
    <input type="hidden" name="username" value="toby">
    <input type="hidden" name="password" value="supersecret">
    <input type="submit">
    </form>

    But Yahoo have made this somewhat harder by using lots of weird hashing
    stuff, so you probably won't be able to do this.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jan 7, 2004

  3. .

    . Guest

    Thanks for that- no wonder my simple brain couldn't get it to work...

    ., Jan 7, 2004
  4. .

    . Guest

    > . wrote:
    >
    > The general idea is quite simple. You create a form something like this:

    Thanks for your guidance Toby, Just managed to get the Fotopic login to
    work, following your tips.......Now I know what a dog with two xxxx's feels
    like.. Yippee.
    Thanks again.

    ., Jan 7, 2004
  5. .

    . Guest

    > But Yahoo have made this somewhat harder by using lots of weird hashing
    > stuff, so you probably won't be able to do this.
    >
    > --
    > Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    See what you mean Toby, I went online and went to the login page- filled
    in usename and password manually, and then Logged off line. Pressed LOGIN
    and of course the site couldn't be found.. Looked at the address and got the
    most convoluted and abstract login you could think of....
    Well lets give it a spin- highlight address and 'copy' it. Log back on line,
    start a fresh copy of IE6 and paste the address- press 'GO' and guess what ,
    page cannot be found... Pressed refresh and incorrect password came up....
    Just what you said... Ah well it was worth a try , I learned something new
    in HTML programming , so I'm happy.
    Thanks

    ., Jan 7, 2004