RELEASED Python 2.4.1, release candidate 1

Anthony Baxter

On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm
happy to announce the release of Python 2.4.1 (release candidate 1).

Python 2.4.1 is a bug-fix release. See the release notes at the website
(also available as Misc/NEWS in the source distribution) for details of
the bugs squished in this release.

Assuming no major problems crop up, a final release of Python 2.4.1 will
follow in about a week's time.

For more information on Python 2.4.1, including download links for
various platforms, release notes, and known issues, please see:

http://www.python.org/2.4.1/

Highlights of this new release include:

- Bug fixes. According to the release notes, several dozen bugs
have been fixed, including a fix for the SimpleXMLRPCServer
security issue (PSF-2005-001).

Highlights of the previous major Python release (2.4) are available
from the Python 2.4 page, at

http://www.python.org/2.4/highlights.html

Enjoy the new release,
Anthony

Anthony Baxter
(e-mail address removed)
Python Release Manager
(on behalf of the entire python-dev team)

Tim N. van der Leeuw

Hi,

I have a problem with Python2.4 and win32com extensions, from Mark
Hammond's win32all package... I posted a few days back about a crash
when compiling files generated by win32com's 'makepy.py' utility.

Now these generated files, which are fine in Python 2.3.5, give a
syntax error on compile.

I posted a somewhat longer message on the python-dev mailing list but
since I'm not subscribe the message is awaiting moderator approval, and
I wanted to notify you of this problem ASAP.

The specific syntax errors are:

File
"D:\Python24\lib\site-packages\win32com\gen_py\00020813-0000-0000-C000-000000000046x0x1x3.py",
line 2591
return ret
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

File
"D:\Python24\lib\site-packages\win32com\gen_py\00020905-0000-0000-C000-000000000046x0x8x1.py",
line 3025
"StyleName": (3, 2, (8, 0), (), "StyleName", None),
"Value": (0, 2, (8, 0), (), "Value", None),
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Eyeballing the files around these locations, I cannot detect any syntax
errors. And as I mentioned above, the exact same file compiles just
fine under Python2.3.5.
(And crashes the 2.4.0 interpreter)

regards,

--Tim

Roger Upole

Does the workaround for the crash do anything for this problem ?

Mark has changed the makepy code to break up long lines, and
a new build of Pywin32 should be out before long.

Roger

Tim N. van der Leeuw

Sorry, but I don't know what you mean with 'workaround for the
crash'...
The interpreter no longer crashes when trying to compile this file.
In Python2.4.0 I never saw any syntax error, there was just crash.
Now there is a syntax error, and I when I look at the code I don't spot
it.

regards,

--Tim

Roger Upole

In the reply to your post about the crash, there
was a link to the bug report on Sourceforge that
includes a workaround. Specifically, remove the
mbcs encoding tag from the generated file. (or fromg
genpy.py itself so that it never gets put into a new
file) Does this do anything for the unwarranted
syntax errors ?

Roger

Tim N. van der Leeuw

Hi Roger,

Thanks, I understand it now, I didn't yet receive in the mail any
replies to my post on py-dev when I read your post here! That's why it
didn't make any sense to me.

I didn't yet have a chance to try the workaround given in the
bug-report (remove MBCS encoding line). Hope to find time soon.

thanks,

--Tim