Releasing A Session

One Handed Man [ OHM# ]

Scenario.

PDA connecting to a web service method using a reference on XP professional ( IIS ). XP limited to 10 sessions. How can the session be released once the method has finished. IE to log off the user as this prevents others using the service.

Thanx

Hermit Dave

i am not aware of the number of session one can have on iis 5.1

but y do you need session for a webservice ? webservice is meant for stateless calls...

--

Regards,

HD
"One Handed Man [ OHM# ]" <O_H_M{at}BTInternet{dot}com> wrote in message Scenario.

PDA connecting to a web service method using a reference on XP professional ( IIS ). XP limited to 10 sessions. How can the session be released once the method has finished. IE to log off the user as this prevents others using the service.

Thanx

One Handed Man [ OHM# ]

The error is defined as: The request failed with HTTP status 403: Access Forbidden.

The issue we have in light of this restriction, is that we can find no explicit way to release a session in IIS from the PDA application when it is finished making the web method call. So the example would be;

In the PDA app create a new reference to the Web Service
Call the web method
As there is no dispose obviously available in the compact framework for the web service, contrary to a Windows application, we have tried calling a garbage collector collect.
This does not seem to release our IIS session reference there and then. Even doing the equivalent using a windows application, and calling a dispose on the web reference does not clear up the session.
We need to explicitly be able to create the Web reference, call the web method and explicitly there and then free up the IIS session by releasing the session reference.

How can this be done? I have tried playing around with IIS settings, but not with not much success.

If we close the PDA application then the session is immediately released. This is the behaviour we want to programatically be able to produce!

Hermit Dave

in your webserver's web.config... set the mode in your sessionState to none

have a look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...us/cpgenref/html/gngrfsessionstatesection.asp

for more information on <sessionState> element

--

Regards,

HD
"One Handed Man [ OHM# ]" <O_H_M{at}BTInternet{dot}com> wrote in message The error is defined as: The request failed with HTTP status 403: Access Forbidden.

[...]

One Handed Man [ OHM# ]

Thanks - we'll try it

--
Best Regards - OHM

O_H_M{at}BTInternet{dot}com

sorry mode = "Off"

--

Regards,

HD
[...]

One Handed Man [ OHM# ]

Hi

We're waiting to get access to the system Dave, as soon as I have some
feedback I will definatley get back to you on this.

Many Thanks - OHM

Hermit said:
Hi,

did you actually give it a try ? would like to know whether it worked
or not !!!

--

Regards,

HD
"One Handed Man [ OHM# ]" <O_H_M{at}BTInternet{dot}com> wrote in
message Thanks - we'll try it

--
Best Regards - OHM

O_H_M{at}BTInternet{dot}com

message sorry mode = "Off"

--

Regards,

HD
message in your webserver's web.config... set the mode in your sessionState