Remote Scripting and URLs

Chuck Jungmann

Is it possible to specifically use javascript to set the URL of a
bookmark when the user of a browser saves a bookmark?

I am working on a project where I am using iframe-based remote
scripting. The application is a provides a virtual drive around a
city, with a video pane and a linked map. The map is an arial view of
the vicinity of the contents of the video pane. There are buttons
that allow you to turn or move, and the map indicates where you are
and which direction you are looking to see the picture in the video
pane.

Rather than sending a new map with each move, I elected to keep a map
image as long as possible, using CSS and Javascript to changing and
moving a small IMG around on top of the map to correspond to the
location and orientation implied by the video, getting a new bitmap
only when the user is about to go off the edge.

The problem is that saving a bookmark (or refreshing the page) results
in the page returning to the position indicated when the page was
loaded. In other words, saving the page saves where you _were_,
rather than where you _are_.

Thanks in advance...
Chuck Jungmann

Randy Webb

Chuck said:
Is it possible to specifically use javascript to set the URL of a
bookmark when the user of a browser saves a bookmark?
No.

[...]

Set a cookie that contains information about where you are. When the
page is reloaded, check the cookie and set the IFrames accordingly.

The behavior you are describing (which is normal[1]), is one of the
inherent problems with Frames and IFrames.

[1] Normal - If there is such a thing.

Chuck Jungmann

The behavior you are describing (which is normal[1]), is one of the
inherent problems with Frames and IFrames.

[1] Normal - If there is such a thing.

Oh well...I didn't really expect a solution, and in fact I can see
security issues if URL changing was allowed. I had hoped that since
this has been a problem for years, that some alternative strategy had
been developed.

Actually, I think the cookie idea is a good strategy to solve the
problem with refreshing, even if it won't help with other aspects I'm
trying to solve.

Thanks for the quick response...