Remotely managing Access2K

helveticus

Because of licensing reasons, I plan on using ASP.NET 3.5 /Access 2K
for a specific site..

What tools could I use to remotely manage the Access 2K DB? Would a
simple ODBC connection be adequate? I read some posts warning against
ADP, (plus I don't want to re-write extra code.). If ODBC is ok, I
presume the remote DB could be managed via a local client
application. Are there any networking issues to be aware of which
possibly could play havoc? Thanks for any pointers.

helveticus

Thanks for the reply. I have been working with A2K and SQL Express,
using A2K as the front-end. However, I find nothing beats Access for
designing front-end applications in short notice.

In the present case, I would like to capitalize on the DB manager I
wrote in A2K. It allows me to do basic CRUD operations on all relevant
SQL Express tables (no database schema modifications) plus specific
processing. I don't want to replicate this work in the web's Admin
section. Ideally, the info should be download/uploaded and processed
locally. Assuming I upgrade to ACC2003/ACC2007, would this kind of
"remote DB management" be possible via OleDB for instance? TIA.

George Ter-Saakov

My guess the guy has written te whole application in MS Access. And links
SQL Express tables from MS Access..
Which is OK.

Just use SQL Express from your ASP.NET application and continue to use MS
Access as a front end for desktop users
Do not use ASP.NET in way so it's hitting MS Access linked tables. There is
no really point in that (except having problems :)

George.

helveticus

Thanks for both replies.

George got the point: I am linking up via ODBC to SQL Express tables
and would like to keeping doing so even when the DB is moved over to a
ISP host. This works fine on my local machine and was hoping that this
kind of setup would also work in such a remote configuration.

Could you please elaborate on " Do not use ASP.NET in way so it's
hitting MS Access linked tables." ? Does this refer to locking, etc.?
TIA

helveticus

Thanks. Let me rephrase the question then. My original idea was to use
A2K as a back-end on the site to avoid SQL Server charges. It seems
however that one cannot use an ODBC connection to link up to a remote
JET backend database file such as A2K, since it is not a socket based
system accessible via TCP/IP. Furthermore, as you pointed out, using
A2K as a DB would be risky since MS has dropped the product.

From the posts I have read, I have come to the conclusion that the
best approach would be to use SQL Server on the site, link up to this
DB via ODBC from a local Access front-end client to "manage" tables
(ie. simple edit/insert/delete, no schema alteration). For "heavy
artillery" operations, I would use SQL Server Management.

Is ODBC reliable? Some posts suggest that ODBC are vulnerable to
connection break ups, etc

George Ter-Saakov

I meant hit SQL Express DB directly from your .NET application.
do not hit your MS Access mdb file which has only linked tables.

There is no problem with ODBC working over network whatsoever. Then only
thing it's as reliable as network is. So may be it's not good idea to run it
over wireless network,,,
George.

sloan

Yeah dude (to the OP).

Please heed this advice. The sooner you make the break and better off you
will be.

Sql Server Express Edition is FREE.

Scratching your back by putting your arm between your legs is the equivalent
of trying to use ODBC/Access.

I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to firmly let you know that it would
be much wiser to heed this advice.

George Ter-Saakov

My guess it's not management aka (creating tables, backing up....)
It's management in terms of an applicaiton that updates tables, insert
records and does all kind of business logic needed to be done when something
happens...
The Sql's managment software does not do all that...

PS: I do find MS Acceess the best tool to quickly create a nice application
with reports and such..

George.