Rename File with FSO

tom

Hi lads -
got an issue with renaming a file. I'm actually using the FSO method
'MoveFile'.I did try to do my best, but doesn't want to work.
this is the code:

Dim fso
set fso = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
fso.MoveFile Server.MapPath("/document/&session("nome_file")&"), _

Server.MapPath("/document/&session("id_risp")&"_"&session("id_recl")&")
' fso.DeleteFile "session("nome_file")"
set fso = nothing

I tell you I tried to get the valuesof the 3 sessions and all of them give
me back a certain value
which is a good point, so the only thing I should do is just substituting
the first name(which would be
the file am going to upload) to the second one(which is the union between 2
different IDs)
the response I get by processing this page is the classic ' Error 500 '
if u got any clues, please let me know.
thanks in advance
- tommy

StephenMcC

Hi Tom,

Pretty sure this method should work, used it before myself, what I would
suggest is to do a test harness in VB or .vbs to test the movefile on its own
and then migrate to ASP...
Dim fso
set fso = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
fso.MoveFile Server.MapPath("/document/&session("nome_file")&"), _

Server.MapPath("/document/&session("id_risp")&"_"&session("id_recl")&")
' fso.DeleteFile "session("nome_file")"
set fso = nothing

....After taking a closer look ur code loks a bit odd, shouldn't this be
sumthing like:

Dim fso
set fso = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
fso.MoveFile Server.MapPath("/document/" & session("nome_file")), _
Server.MapPath("/document/" & session("id_risp") & "_" & session("id_recl"))
'I'm guess delete the orginal...
fso.DeleteFile Server.MapPath("/document/" & session("nome_file"))
set fso = nothing

...that is assuming that the Server.MapPath call will provide the full
correct path to the files etc, which I guess it should.
the response I get by processing this page is the classic ' Error 500 '
if u got any clues, please let me know.

Ur browser may be configured not to show server error message,
re-configurable @:
IE6 - Tool -> Options -> Advanced -> Show Friendly HTTP Error Messages
(un-check if checked!)

Hope this helps,

Stephen
..

tom

Hi Steve -
thank you very much for your advices. it's been really useful.
still don't know the VB even if is really close to vbs.
anyway now seems to run properly even if I got a little prob with the path.
hope will be not too hard to sort out.
cheers
- tom

tom

Still got a brand new prob about where saving my file.
by default the file is going to be saves into the 'document' folder declared
in the path.
but it is a physical path and not virtual. -->
C:\..\inetpub\wwwroot\document\ID1_ID2.txt
what I should do is saving the file on the server
so what I did is create a new var with the physical path of the the server
IP and so on.
and what I get is this error:
Server.MapPath() error 'ASP 0172 : 80004005'

Invalid Path

The Path parameter for the MapPath method must be a virtual path. A physical
path was used.

What can I do? cheers

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Another option is to just set the .Name property of a file object. That
property is read/write. Example:

Set fso = CreateObjet("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set oFile = fso.GetFile(Server.MapPath("/document/" & Session("home_file"))
oFile.Name = "NewFilename.txt"
Set oFile = Nothing
Set fso = Nothing

Ray at work

thorpe

the original is not there anymore, so dont try and delete it after you have
moved it. its not there.