Replacing MS Soap Toolkit with a .net WS

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by AnRonMor, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. AnRonMor

    AnRonMor Guest

    Currently I use the MS Soap Toolkit to expose some 20 or so com objects

    for use by classic asp pages, this has to be replaced as support is
    ending.
    I have found two proposed solutions below and would appreciate any
    comments, particularly from somone who has done this before.

    Create a .net WS to expose the Com Objects

    >From searching the web it looks like a couple of options are available

    to access the web service from classic asp:

    1 Access the WS using the MSXML http component to create headers
    ASP > MSXML > . net WS > COM ( interop)
    This requires writing a lot of code, I've read also that the error
    handling is difficult. Basically it sounds like writing soap toolkit
    again in ASP.

    2 Using .net create a .net assembly to call the WS using the .net ws
    methods, expose this to the ASP page using a COM callable wrapper.
    ASP > CCW ( interop) > .net Assembly > . net WS > COM ( interop)
    In terms of stability this looks much better as the .net ws methods
    will handle errors much better. Also it should be possible to design
    the component in such a way as to minimise the amount of code to write.

    However there is a lot of interop involved and I'm concerned about the
    overhead involved.

    Can anyone give me some pointers?

    AnRonMor, Mar 29, 2006