    Cheers

    Stewart Dean
    , Mar 1, 2007

  2. Aidy Guest

    > Before I start I'm a neebie and I've spent the last day getting some
    > basics on .net but come from a unix background. I currently have a
    > site that needs to keep it's HTML file endings, I can't reconfigure
    > HTML to run as aspx on the server, and am looking to keep the existing
    > files where they are.
    >
    > I've got a series of challenges to reconfigure stuff but I'm starting
    > with an easy first step. On each page there is a box to submit an
    > email. This used to just call up a perl script and post the email.
    >
    > I now am on a .net box and from what I've read need to turn the page
    > in to an aspx page to make this work. I cannot and don't really want
    > to (aspx endings I consider user unfriendly) but I'm willing to let
    > the thank you pages be aspx endings, even if I prefer .html.
    >
    > Now I know this is a tall order, first because I'm new to this and
    > secondly because, from what I've seen so far, .net wants me to work in
    > a way I don't want to (sorry, don't want to budge) but can anyone
    > offer a simple solution / example that I can use on this site.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Stewart Dean

    You can map any extension of file to be handled as an asp.net one. However
    you can still have an HTML file like you do know and have it's FORM's action
    post to an ASPX page. The aspx page sends the e-mail then directs the user
    to an html thank you page. That way the user only ever sees two html pages
    and no aspx ones.
    Aidy, Mar 1, 2007

  3. stew dean Guest

    On 1 Mar, 14:36, "Aidy" <> wrote:
    > > Before I start I'm a neebie and I've spent the last day getting some
    > > basics on .net but come from a unix background. I currently have a
    > > site that needs to keep it's HTML file endings, I can't reconfigure
    > > HTML to run as aspx on the server, and am looking to keep the existing
    > > files where they are.

    > > I've got a series of challenges to reconfigure stuff but I'm starting
    > > with an easy first step. On each page there is a box to submit an
    > > email. This used to just call up a perl script and post the email.

    > > I now am on a .net box and from what I've read need to turn the page
    > > in to an aspx page to make this work. I cannot and don't really want
    > > to (aspx endings I consider user unfriendly) but I'm willing to let
    > > the thank you pages be aspx endings, even if I prefer .html.

    > > Now I know this is a tall order, first because I'm new to this and
    > > secondly because, from what I've seen so far, .net wants me to work in
    > > a way I don't want to (sorry, don't want to budge) but can anyone
    > > offer a simple solution / example that I can use on this site.

    > > Cheers

    > > Stewart Dean

    > You can map any extension of file to be handled as an asp.net one. However
    > you can still have an HTML file like you do know and have it's FORM's action
    > post to an ASPX page. The aspx page sends the e-mail then directs the user
    > to an html thank you page. That way the user only ever sees two html pages
    > and no aspx ones.

    Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the idea solution and nice to see
    it's possible. Bearing mind I'm very new to this is here somewhere I
    can see an example of this?

    Cheers
    stew dean, Mar 1, 2007
  4. On 1 Mar 2007 05:31:25 -0800, wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Before I start I'm a neebie and I've spent the last day getting some
    > basics on .net but come from a unix background. I currently have a
    > site that needs to keep it's HTML file endings, I can't reconfigure
    > HTML to run as aspx on the server, and am looking to keep the existing
    > files where they are.
    >
    > I've got a series of challenges to reconfigure stuff but I'm starting
    > with an easy first step. On each page there is a box to submit an
    > email. This used to just call up a perl script and post the email.
    >
    > I now am on a .net box and from what I've read need to turn the page
    > in to an aspx page to make this work. I cannot and don't really want
    > to (aspx endings I consider user unfriendly) but I'm willing to let
    > the thank you pages be aspx endings, even if I prefer .html.
    >
    > Now I know this is a tall order, first because I'm new to this and
    > secondly because, from what I've seen so far, .net wants me to work in
    > a way I don't want to (sorry, don't want to budge) but can anyone
    > offer a simple solution / example that I can use on this site.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Stewart Dean

    You can still run perl on a windows box, and even get IIS to use perl to
    process web scripts. Go to ActiveState.com and you can get a download that
    will do all the configuration for you
    --
    Bits.Bytes
    http://bytes.thinkersroom.com