    u need a pdf viewer for viewing it. there should be some thing that
    cen viewed from directly from application e.g gtkhtml for gtk, khtml
    for kde etc.

    mir nazim, Apr 20, 2004

  2. mir nazim

    Harry George Guest

    (mir nazim) writes:

    > hi,
    > i wanted 2 know if there is any report generator for python/linux that
    > produces reports in variety of formats e.g html/images/jpeg/png etc.
    > i know about report lab but output is pdf. pdf is ok for printing but
    > u need a pdf viewer for viewing it. there should be some thing that
    > cen viewed from directly from application e.g gtkhtml for gtk, khtml
    > for kde etc.

    "directly from application" seems odd, since both pdf and html rely on
    viewers to get the text onto the display.

    I think most python-to-xyz-format tools go through some neutral format
    such as docbook or latex. The python tool is used to generate those
    neutral formats more easily from simpler markups.

    My Pdx (http://www.seanet.com/~hgg9140/comp/index.html) does that. It
    goes directly to html, goes via latex to ps, pdf, and html, and goes
    via docbook to ps, pdf, html, rtf. It is from the era of Perl POD.

    These days, I'd look at OpenOffice, which can directly generate many
    formats, and can be manipulated in xml format. Python could do that
    manipulation. Or, work with the UDK via python bindings
    http://udk.openoffice.org/

    --

    6-6M21 BCA CompArch Design Engineering
    Phone: (425) 342-0007

    Harry George, Apr 20, 2004

  3. mir nazim

    Phipps Xue Guest

    A very great open source library for generating PDF report using in python.
    www.reportlab.org

    Phipps

    Phipps Xue, Apr 21, 2004