    interface.

    Any input is appreciated.

    Jim

    androidUser78, Aug 26, 2010

  2. androidUser78

    Steve C Guest

    On 08/26/2010 09:35 AM, androidUser78 wrote:
    > I am not sure where else to post this but I am running a LAMP
    > environment and my users now want historical graphical reporting. For
    > instance, normally the user would have a web interface and submit a
    > bunch of parameters to it and I would spit back a report. But now they
    > want this report to be graphical and they want it to keep historical
    > information of their parameters. So for instance at 9am they want to
    > see how many hits a site got (assume for example purposes we store in
    > the DB). Then at 9:10, the report is refreshed and they see how many
    > hits we have gotten since 9am, then 9:20, etc, etc. The interface and
    > backend stuff is already done but does anyone use or know of any tools
    > that would help me plot this stuff? I looked at Cacti but it seems
    > like it only takes a script that you need to enter into the web
    > interface.

    use Chart;
    if you want to have the db and just want to roll your own graphics.

    use rrdtool if you want to set up something new to store the data for you and
    to generate plots.

    Steve C, Aug 26, 2010

  3. On Aug 26, 10:08 am, Steve C <> wrote:
    > On 08/26/2010 09:35 AM, androidUser78 wrote:
    >
    > > I am not sure where else to post this but I am running a LAMP
    > > environment and my users now want historical graphical reporting. For
    > > instance, normally the user would have a web interface and submit a
    > > bunch of parameters to it and I would spit back a report. But now they
    > > want this report to be graphical and they want it to keep historical
    > > information of their parameters. So for instance at 9am they want to
    > > see how many hits a site got (assume for example purposes we store in
    > > the DB). Then at 9:10, the report is refreshed and they see how many
    > > hits we have gotten since 9am, then 9:20, etc, etc. The interface and
    > > backend stuff is already done but does anyone use or know of any tools
    > > that would help me plot this stuff? I looked at Cacti but it seems
    > > like it only takes a script that you need to enter into the web
    > > interface.

    > use Chart;
    > if you want to have the db and just want to roll your own graphics.
    >
    > use rrdtool if you want to set up something new to store the data for youand
    > to generate plots.

    I am reading about rrdtool. Will it be able to handle a result set
    from a DB and be able to store it in its own DB?

    androidUser78, Aug 26, 2010
  4. androidUser78

    J. Gleixner Guest

    androidUser78 wrote:
    > I am not sure where else to post this but I am running a LAMP
    > environment and my users now want historical graphical reporting. For
    > instance, normally the user would have a web interface and submit a
    > bunch of parameters to it and I would spit back a report. But now they
    > want this report to be graphical and they want it to keep historical
    > information of their parameters. So for instance at 9am they want to
    > see how many hits a site got (assume for example purposes we store in
    > the DB). Then at 9:10, the report is refreshed and they see how many
    > hits we have gotten since 9am, then 9:20, etc, etc. The interface and
    > backend stuff is already done but does anyone use or know of any tools
    > that would help me plot this stuff? I looked at Cacti but it seems
    > like it only takes a script that you need to enter into the web
    > interface.
    >
    > Any input is appreciated.
    >
    > Jim

    If the same thing was to run every x minutes and you wanted to see
    trends over time, for example:

    http://cricket.sourceforge.net/

    I know it's not a perl solution, however since you mention a Web
    interface, there are plenty of Javascript based graphing libraries:
    dygraph, Eastwood Charts, Google Charts, ExtJS, etc.. You could
    have a simple CGI that stores the parameters, calculate/fetch the
    results, then provide it as XML, CSV, JSON, name/value pairs, etc. to
    one of those interfaces to create some very, very nice graphs/charts.

    J. Gleixner, Aug 26, 2010
  5. androidUser78

    ccc31807 Guest

    On Aug 26, 9:35 am, androidUser78 <> wrote:
    > I am not sure where else to post this but I am running a LAMP
    > environment and my users now want historical graphical reporting. For
    > instance, normally the user would have a web interface and submit a
    > bunch of parameters to it and I would spit back a report. But now they
    > want this report to be graphical

    I routinely produce a large number of visualizations of historical
    data.
    (1) Run a database query, which means that you store your data in a DB
    (2) Run a Perl script using your query results as the input data
    (3) I use GD::Graph to produce GIFs.

    I format my output as PDF files, I normally produce several dozen at a
    time graphing different things and my report is typically over ten
    pages long with six GIFs on each page.

    It would be easy to create a link (or input button) that runs the
    query, formats the data, creates the GIF dynamically, and displays it
    on your web page. As others may point out, there are tools that do
    this for you, but if you use Perl (which you do on your LAMP stack)
    it's probably just as well to roll your own.

    GD::Graph isn't too difficult if you only want simple stuff. I haven't
    mastered it but I can certainly use it to create as many simple charts
    as I want.

    CC.

    ccc31807, Aug 26, 2010
  6. androidUser78

    Steve C Guest

    On 08/26/2010 11:09 AM, androidUser78 wrote:
    > On Aug 26, 10:08 am, Steve C<> wrote:
    >> On 08/26/2010 09:35 AM, androidUser78 wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am not sure where else to post this but I am running a LAMP
    >>> environment and my users now want historical graphical reporting. For
    >>> instance, normally the user would have a web interface and submit a
    >>> bunch of parameters to it and I would spit back a report. But now they
    >>> want this report to be graphical and they want it to keep historical
    >>> information of their parameters. So for instance at 9am they want to
    >>> see how many hits a site got (assume for example purposes we store in
    >>> the DB). Then at 9:10, the report is refreshed and they see how many
    >>> hits we have gotten since 9am, then 9:20, etc, etc. The interface and
    >>> backend stuff is already done but does anyone use or know of any tools
    >>> that would help me plot this stuff? I looked at Cacti but it seems
    >>> like it only takes a script that you need to enter into the web
    >>> interface.

    >> use Chart;
    >> if you want to have the db and just want to roll your own graphics.
    >>
    >> use rrdtool if you want to set up something new to store the data for you and
    >> to generate plots.

    > I am reading about rrdtool. Will it be able to handle a result set
    > from a DB and be able to store it in its own DB?

    I've never used it that way, but you could. It seems kind of inefficient to
    copy the data, but you could generate the rrd database by scanning your db
    and including the timestamp option in the rrdupdate calls.

    Steve C, Aug 27, 2010
  7. androidUser78

    Ted Zlatanov Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 06:35:11 -0700 (PDT) androidUser78 <> wrote:

    a> I am not sure where else to post this but I am running a LAMP
    a> environment and my users now want historical graphical reporting. For
    a> instance, normally the user would have a web interface and submit a
    a> bunch of parameters to it and I would spit back a report. But now they
    a> want this report to be graphical and they want it to keep historical
    a> information of their parameters. So for instance at 9am they want to
    a> see how many hits a site got (assume for example purposes we store in
    a> the DB). Then at 9:10, the report is refreshed and they see how many
    a> hits we have gotten since 9am, then 9:20, etc, etc. The interface and
    a> backend stuff is already done but does anyone use or know of any tools
    a> that would help me plot this stuff? I looked at Cacti but it seems
    a> like it only takes a script that you need to enter into the web
    a> interface.

    If your data is not top-secret and you don't mind surrendering control,
    Google Charts has a nice interface that you can drive from Perl or
    directly from a web application.

    Ted

    Ted Zlatanov, Aug 30, 2010