    I'm not sure how easily this can interface with the Java application and
    produce data-merged letters.

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use?

    Dave, Jun 3, 2006

  2. Dave

    steve Guest

    On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 18:26:05 +0800, Dave wrote
    (in article <1tdgg.1984$>):

    > I am considering building a financial application using Java SE and a
    > database back-end. The only area of concern for me is how I would produce
    > letters or reports with the Java application.
    >
    > I would like the application to be able to produce letters which will be
    > automatically printed out (to be sent out to customers). I would also like
    > to be able to produce attractive reports which management staff can print
    > out.
    >
    > For example, if MS Access is used, it has a very simple built-in "reports"
    > feature which can produce nice reports and letters. Obviously something like
    > Crystal Reports would be an option but that doesn't fit in with the
    > cost-model of this application due to license costs. HTML is an option, but
    > I'm not sure how easily this can interface with the Java application and
    > produce data-merged letters.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use?

    Ireports & jasperreports.

    lay your letters out , get your data from a database, render to pdf & email
    or fax.

    Steve

    steve, Jun 3, 2006

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 18:26:05 +0800, Dave wrote
    > (in article <1tdgg.1984$>):
    >
    >> I am considering building a financial application using Java SE and a
    >> database back-end. The only area of concern for me is how I would produce
    >> letters or reports with the Java application.
    >>
    >> I would like the application to be able to produce letters which will be
    >> automatically printed out (to be sent out to customers). I would also
    >> like
    >> to be able to produce attractive reports which management staff can print
    >> out.
    >>
    >> For example, if MS Access is used, it has a very simple built-in
    >> "reports"
    >> feature which can produce nice reports and letters. Obviously something
    >> like
    >> Crystal Reports would be an option but that doesn't fit in with the
    >> cost-model of this application due to license costs. HTML is an option,
    >> but
    >> I'm not sure how easily this can interface with the Java application and
    >> produce data-merged letters.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use?
    >>

    > Ireports & jasperreports.
    >
    > lay your letters out , get your data from a database, render to pdf &
    > email
    > or fax.
    >
    > Steve

    Thanks Steve.

    Can I implement JasperReports in a J2SE application, or does it have to be
    J2EE?

    Dave, Jun 3, 2006
  4. Dave

    steve Guest

    On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 19:15:20 +0800, Dave wrote
    (in article <cbegg.3569$>):

    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 18:26:05 +0800, Dave wrote
    >> (in article <1tdgg.1984$>):
    >>
    >>> I am considering building a financial application using Java SE and a
    >>> database back-end. The only area of concern for me is how I would produce
    >>> letters or reports with the Java application.
    >>>
    >>> I would like the application to be able to produce letters which will be
    >>> automatically printed out (to be sent out to customers). I would also
    >>> like
    >>> to be able to produce attractive reports which management staff can print
    >>> out.
    >>>
    >>> For example, if MS Access is used, it has a very simple built-in
    >>> "reports"
    >>> feature which can produce nice reports and letters. Obviously something
    >>> like
    >>> Crystal Reports would be an option but that doesn't fit in with the
    >>> cost-model of this application due to license costs. HTML is an option,
    >>> but
    >>> I'm not sure how easily this can interface with the Java application and
    >>> produce data-merged letters.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use?
    >>>

    >> Ireports & jasperreports.
    >>
    >> lay your letters out , get your data from a database, render to pdf &
    >> email
    >> or fax.
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Thanks Steve.
    >
    > Can I implement JasperReports in a J2SE application, or does it have to be
    > J2EE?

    read the class notes, but yes you can use it in either. I think the
    minimum is java 1.4 but i'm not sure.( itext is 1.2/1.3)
    I already use the above system for building complex documents, not just
    letters & forms

    steve

    steve, Jun 3, 2006
  5. Scribe can do this for you.
    www.reportgenerator.org

    Alex Molochnikov, Jun 4, 2006
  6. Dave

    ducnbyu Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > I am considering building a financial application using Java SE and a
    > database back-end. The only area of concern for me is how I would produce
    > letters or reports with the Java application.

    I haven't used it, but you might consider BIRT (Business Intelligence
    and Reporting Tools)

    http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/

    It's open source and integrates with Java. Also works with MySQL open
    source database engine in case you are looking for free stuff.

    ducnbyu, Jun 4, 2006
  7. Dave

    steve Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 10:22:20 +0800, ducnbyu wrote
    (in article <>):

    > Dave wrote:
    >> I am considering building a financial application using Java SE and a
    >> database back-end. The only area of concern for me is how I would produce
    >> letters or reports with the Java application.

    > I haven't used it, but you might consider BIRT (Business Intelligence
    > and Reporting Tools)
    >
    > http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/
    >
    > It's open source and integrates with Java. Also works with MySQL open
    > source database engine in case you are looking for free stuff.

    yes but is is not exactly light weight or easy to set up.

    steve

    steve, Jun 4, 2006