Req: Need suggestions for search algorithm

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Ben Fidge, May 2, 2005.

  1. Ben Fidge

    Ben Fidge Guest

    Hi

    I'm working on a site which requires the users to specify a hotel at which
    they're staying in London. The complete list of hotels comes to something
    like 1600 records. Each record consists of Hotel Name, Street Address and
    Postcode.

    We need to make it as simple as possible for users to pick their hotel, but
    I don't want to put 1600 hotel names in a drop-down list, and we have to
    consider the fact that not every user is going to know the full name and
    address of their hotel. Furthermore, we have to assume that misspellings
    will be common and also the shortening of address elements. For example,

    "Road" could be entered as "Rd", "Rd." or "Road"
    "Street" could be "St", "St." or "Street"
    "Lane" could be "Ln", "Lne" or "Lane" etc

    Taking all these scenarios and requirements into hand can anyone suggest a
    fool-proof yet easy to use mechanism for providing this sort of search
    capability on a web-page?

    I'm using ADO.NET to interface to Sql Server 2000 db. Would Full-text
    indexing on this table be of any use?

    I'm intersted to know how people would go about this themselves.

    Thanks

    Ben

    Ben Fidge, May 2, 2005

  2. Re: Need suggestions for search algorithm

    Hi Ben,

    A little while ago, just before Google went public, Microsoft tried to buy
    them. Why? Because they have the best search engine in the world. But, you
    might ask, why would Microsoft, a software company that employs thousands of
    programmers need to buy a search engine, when they can write their own? The
    answer is simple: Google does almost nothing but search software. And it is
    not easy to write. In fact, Google has thousands of computers to share the
    load. Their search routines, while secret, must be humongous.

    So, in answer to your question:

    > Taking all these scenarios and requirements into hand can anyone suggest a
    > fool-proof yet easy to use mechanism for providing this sort of search
    > capability on a web-page?

    The answer is "no." Not fool-proof, and by no stretch of the imagination
    easy!

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    What You Seek Is What You Get.

    Kevin Spencer, May 2, 2005

  3. Ben Fidge

    Ben Fidge Guest

    Re: Need suggestions for search algorithm

    Hi Kevin,

    I appreciate your comments but I'm still left with the task of providing
    this functionality to our end-users. As you are probably aware, the average
    web-user gets distracted or bored very easily, so the easier and more
    intuitive I can make an interface the better. The aim here is to guide their
    selection of hotel from a list using the most efficient and time-saving
    means possible. As programmers, we need to be aware that 99% of the time our
    users are not techies, but just want to buy products quickly and easily.

    This is not an uncommon scenario, and i'm sure there's many developers out
    there who may offer some insight into how they've tackled similar problems
    in the past, be it a propritry solution or some third-party library we can
    buy in.

    Kind regards

    Ben

    Ben Fidge, May 2, 2005
  4. Re: Need suggestions for search algorithm

    > in the past, be it a propritry solution or some third-party library we can
    > buy in.

    Now, there's an idea. Try Googling it. I wouldn't be surprised if you can
    find something that works fairly well.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    What You Seek Is What You Get.

    Kevin Spencer, May 2, 2005
  5. Ben Fidge

    Patrice Guest

    Re: Need suggestions for search algorithm

    I saw once someone who used an algorithm that computes the minimal amount of
    elementary changes (ie. letter deletion or letter addition and perhaps
    swaps) to match a particular target word. It gives a kind of "proximity"
    level between two words...

    If I remember I suggested to divide this result by the length of the word to
    have a similar range regardless of the length word (to have a number of
    changes per letter rather than just a number of changes).

    Unfortunately I don't remember how it's named but you should hopefully find
    it from its description

    Patrice

    Patrice, May 2, 2005
  6. Ben Fidge

    Shane Thomas Guest

    > > in the past, be it a propritry solution or some third-party library we can
    > > buy in.

    > Now, there's an idea. Try Googling it. I wouldn't be surprised if you can
    > find something that works fairly well.

    I think you might even be able to license Google technology...

    --

    -shane

    Shane Thomas, May 2, 2005
  7. Ben Fidge

    Patrice Guest

    Re: Need suggestions for search algorithm

    This is the "Levenshtein Distance" also called sometimes the "Edit
    Distance".

    Try :
    http://www.merriampark.com/ld.htm

    Patrice

    Patrice, May 2, 2005
  8. Ben Fidge

    Bruce Barker Guest

    Re: Need suggestions for search algorithm

    you need to write an address normalization routine. In the US several exist
    for use CRIS tapes (address lists from the post office). if you look for
    address matching software in the UK you may find one. YOu local post office
    can probably give you rules.

    a street address is usually in the format (US anyway - I don't know UK)

    direction>

    ex:

    123 n 123 st
    123 123 st nw

    you sould remove periods, convert suffixs (place, way, avenue, blvd) to a
    standard. i usually do a phonetic of the street name (might be able to use
    the sqlserver one) to catch spelling errors. with treet and number, you can
    find missing suffix and direction

    ex

    user enters: 1234 main

    computer responds did you mean: 1234 main street or 1234 main blvd?.

    you can refine, by linking to hotel name.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, May 2, 2005
  9. Ben Fidge

    Ben Fidge Guest

    Re: Need suggestions for search algorithm

    Hi Patrice,

    I have heard of Levenshtein Distance algorithm. I'll look to see how I can
    use it.

    Thanks for the positive help.

    Ben

    Ben Fidge, May 2, 2005