request for feedback: pyfmf

Dan Perl

pyfmf is a project I started a few months ago and that is registered with
sourceforge (http://pyfmf.sourceforge.net,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyfmf). It consists of a framework for file
management, with a console based toolkit (zigo) and a graphical platform
(zago) based on the framework. Both zigo and zago are still alpha releases,
addressed only to python enthusiasts.

I just released a new version of zigo and the first release of zago. There
have been a few tens of downloads of previous releases of zigo (which is not
bad) but I never received any feedback (at least I didn't get any bad
feedback either). I would like to hear what other people think about it. I
am interested in comments on uses, design, coding or just simply whether you
think this is interesting and useful. Please take a look at the home page
of the project: http://pyfmf.sourceforge.net.

Thanks,

Dan Perl

Michael Foord

Dan Perl said:
pyfmf is a project I started a few months ago and that is registered with
sourceforge (http://pyfmf.sourceforge.net,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyfmf). It consists of a framework for file
management, with a console based toolkit (zigo) and a graphical platform
(zago) based on the framework. Both zigo and zago are still alpha releases,
addressed only to python enthusiasts.

I just released a new version of zigo and the first release of zago. There
have been a few tens of downloads of previous releases of zigo (which is not
bad) but I never received any feedback (at least I didn't get any bad
feedback either). I would like to hear what other people think about it. I
am interested in comments on uses, design, coding or just simply whether you
think this is interesting and useful. Please take a look at the home page
of the project: http://pyfmf.sourceforge.net.

I've had several hundred downloads of Nanagram my desktop anagram
maker - I've only had a handful of emails back about it.

In general feedback seems to in the order of < 1%
I'll have a look and if I have anything worthwhile to say - I'll say
it :)

Regards,

Fuzzy

Michael Foord

Dan Perl said:
pyfmf is a project I started a few months ago and that is registered with
sourceforge (http://pyfmf.sourceforge.net,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyfmf). It consists of a framework for file
management, with a console based toolkit (zigo) and a graphical platform
(zago) based on the framework. Both zigo and zago are still alpha releases,
addressed only to python enthusiasts.

I just released a new version of zigo and the first release of zago. There
have been a few tens of downloads of previous releases of zigo (which is not
bad) but I never received any feedback (at least I didn't get any bad
feedback either). I would like to hear what other people think about it. I
am interested in comments on uses, design, coding or just simply whether you
think this is interesting and useful. Please take a look at the home page
of the project: http://pyfmf.sourceforge.net.

Minor suggestion - download link on the main website......

Regards,

Fuzzy

Michael Foord

Dan Perl said:
pyfmf is a project I started a few months ago and that is registered with
sourceforge (http://pyfmf.sourceforge.net,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyfmf). It consists of a framework for file
management, with a console based toolkit (zigo) and a graphical platform
(zago) based on the framework. Both zigo and zago are still alpha releases,
addressed only to python enthusiasts.

I just released a new version of zigo and the first release of zago. There
have been a few tens of downloads of previous releases of zigo (which is not
bad) but I never received any feedback (at least I didn't get any bad
feedback either). I would like to hear what other people think about it. I
am interested in comments on uses, design, coding or just simply whether you
think this is interesting and useful. Please take a look at the home page
of the project: http://pyfmf.sourceforge.net.

Another suggestion not so minor really - bundle docs *with* the
downloads, or as a minimum offer a separately packaged bundle of docs
for offline reading...... I've seen some amazingly useful looking
modules that I've never bothered to wade through the source code of to
work out what they actually do. Asa simple rule it's about ten times
easier to write your own code than it is to read someone else's. It's
an extremely useful skill to gain - but not one you can rely on people
practising on your code !! Sorry, bit of a rant - but it really annoys
me when I download a useful looking bit of code, take it home and
unpack it - only to discover there's no docs bundled with it....
*sigh* If it's woorth writing, it's worth documenting...

Regards,

Fuzzy

Dan Perl

Thanks, Michael. It would be easy to add a directory to the packages with
all the documentation I have on the web site. Now, the question is: is that
documentation good enough? My personal experience with using open-source
projects has been that they are very poor in documentation. I don't want to
do the same with my project, but I did make the decision to rather put out a
release quickly, even if the documentation is on the thin side. Having said
that, I hope that what I already have (on the web) is good enough to get
someone started.

I will put out two minor releases that will include the documentation, but
until then, any feedback on the documentation that is on the web?

Thanks again,

Dan