Requirements for Perl on Windows XP?

Teffy

What are the requirements for running a Perl script on Windows XP Pro
(tablet edition)?

I am trying to run a command-line utility, "UTIL", on my tablet PC
running WinXP-SP2. UTIL was written in Perl, so I installed ActivePerl
5.8.8.817 from ActiveState.com. UTIL also requires a couple of CPAN
modules which I installed by using "nmake", which is "make" for Win32.

Reading about error messages I got trying to run UTIL caused me to
install "Visual C++ 2005 Express" and "Microsoft Platform SDK for
Windows Server 2003 R2," but now I am tangled up in DLL Hell, unmanaged
assemblies, manifests (I think). The ugly details are here:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/bro...

There must be an easier way to get the C stuff I need to support a Perl
application!

Your help is appreciated!

Teffy

Teffy

A. Sinan Unur said:
Please use PPM and solve your problem.
From the ppm command prompt I typed:
ppm> search linkextor
and it listed two similar modules (HDML-LinkExtor and
HTML-SimpleLinkExtor), but not the one I need, HTML-LinkExtor.

I also tried:
ppm> search soap-lite
and found similarly named modules, but not exact.

I found two pages at the ActiveState site (http://tinyurl.com/emyq6 and
http://tinyurl.com/j2v6b) that say there is currently no pre-built PPM
package for either HTML::LinkExtor or SOAP::Lite. Bummer.

Teffy

Teffy

I believe HTML::LinkExtor is part of HTML::parser. I see HTML::parser
and Soap::Lite listed as part of the core ActiveState perl build 817
here: http://ppm.activestate.com/BuildStatus/5.8.html

Does this mean my first mistake was to assume that I needed to install
the extra modules, and somehow screw it up with nmake, and everything
went downhill from there? Maybe I should revert to a version of my
Windows XP system from before all this?

Thank you,
Teffy

Sisyphus

Yep - like I said, you already have them :)
Does this mean my first mistake was to assume that I needed to install
the extra modules, and somehow screw it up with nmake, and everything
went downhill from there? Maybe I should revert to a version of my
Windows XP system from before all this?

Probably just uninstalling ActiveState perl and then reinstalling it is all
that's needed. That should get you back to the HTML::parser and SOAP::Lite
that come with ActiveState perl.

I find it a little difficult to follow exactly what has gone wrong, though
I've visited the tinyurl link that you supplied. Seems like you might have
managed to build and install something that requires MSVCR80.dll at runtime.
Either you don't have that dll (though I would have expected it to be in one
of the downloads you got from Microsoft) or it's not in one of the "path"
folders.

Cheers,
Rob

Sisyphus

Teffy said:
ppm> search linkextor
and it listed two similar modules (HDML-LinkExtor and
HTML-SimpleLinkExtor), but not the one I need, HTML-LinkExtor.

I also tried:
ppm> search soap-lite
and found similarly named modules, but not exact.

I found two pages at the ActiveState site (http://tinyurl.com/emyq6 and
http://tinyurl.com/j2v6b) that say there is currently no pre-built PPM
package for either HTML::LinkExtor or SOAP::Lite. Bummer.

Yep - they generally don't provide ppm's for modules that ship as standard
with ActiveState perl.

Cheers,
Rob

Sisyphus

"A. Sinan Unur" <[email protected]>
..
..
Hey, I totally forgot about the fact that they are core. I just figured
the OP's UTIL script did not run with the stock install and therefore he
was looking for the modules.

I've likewise been sucked in by the very same (on more than one occasion) in
the past ..... and there's no guarantee that it won't happen to me again :)

Cheers,
Rob

Teffy

Success! I uninstalled ActivePerl, 'Visual C++ 2005 Express' and
'Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2' then reinstalled
ActivePerl. UTIL now runs like a champ! Thanks so much to both of
you!

Teffy