Reset Selected Item in Select Option List

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Dennis Marks, Sep 8, 2006.

  1. Dennis Marks

    Dennis Marks Guest

    I have a page with 3 scrolling select option lists on the left. When an
    item in one of the lists is selected information appears on the right.
    You can go back and forth between lists to see the same or different
    information.

    There is one annoyance. If I select an item from the first list and then
    select an item in the second list, the item in the first list remains
    highlighted. If I then return to the first list and select the same item
    nothing happens since there has not been a change in selection.

    Is there a way to reset the selection in one list when an item in
    another list is selected?

    You can see the page at http://www.dcsi.net/~denmarks/amtrak_main.html

    --
    Dennis M. Marks

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion. I do not guarantee it. Be sure to
    back up any files involved and use at your own risk. Batteries not
    included. Not for internal use. Don't run with knives.

    Dennis Marks, Sep 8, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    Dennis Marks <> wrote:

    > I have a page with 3 scrolling select option lists on the left. When an
    > item in one of the lists is selected information appears on the right.
    > You can go back and forth between lists to see the same or different
    > information.
    >
    > There is one annoyance. If I select an item from the first list and then
    > select an item in the second list, the item in the first list remains
    > highlighted. If I then return to the first list and select the same item
    > nothing happens since there has not been a change in selection.
    >
    > Is there a way to reset the selection in one list when an item in
    > another list is selected?
    >
    > You can see the page at http://www.dcsi.net/~denmarks/amtrak_main.html

    Have you had a look at the .selected or .selectedIndex properties of the
    options list? No idea if this will work or if it is even good style, I
    just spotted these properties on my Visibone Javascript card.

    BTW you might want to consider alternate content (e.g. "Sorry, this page
    requires JavaaScript") for users w/o Javascript. I run with it off and
    it confused me that there was nothing clickable on the page.

    Cheers

    --
    Philip
    http://NikitaTheSpider.com/