    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion. I do not guarantee it. Be sure to
    back up any files involved and use at your own risk. Batteries not
    included. Not for internal use. Don't run with knives.

    Dennis Marks, Sep 7, 2006

  2. Dennis Marks

    Dennis Marks Guest

    On 9/7/2006 2:18 PM, Dennis Marks wrote the following and I, Dennis
    Marks, have replied at the bottom:
    > I dynamically create 3 select lists from tables. I am having trouble
    > changing the background color. Would you look at
    > http://www.dcsi.net/~denmarks/amtrak_main.html
    > and tell me how to change it? I want the select list background color to
    > be the same as the rest of the document.

    PROBLEM SOLVED

    --
    Dennis M. Marks

    Dennis Marks, Sep 8, 2006

  3. In alt.html, Dennis Marks wrote:

    > On 9/7/2006 2:18 PM, Dennis Marks wrote the following and I, Dennis
    > Marks, have replied at the bottom:
    >> I dynamically create 3 select lists from tables. I am having trouble
    >> changing the background color. Would you look at
    >> http://www.dcsi.net/~denmarks/amtrak_main.html and tell me how to
    >> change it? I want the select list background color to be the same as
    >> the rest of the document.
    >>

    > PROBLEM SOLVED

    You are aware that there are no select items for the 10-15% of your
    visitors who have JavaScript disabled?

    Also, your absolute positioning really borks when a vision-impaired user
    increases the font size.
    http://k75s.home.att.net/show/dcsi.jpg

    I thought it looked better when the selects were white. The background
    color you've chosen is rather .. dull.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 8, 2006
  4. Dennis Marks

    Dennis Marks Guest

    On 9/7/2006 5:29 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote the following and I,
    Dennis Marks, have replied at the bottom:
    > In alt.html, Dennis Marks wrote:
    >
    >> On 9/7/2006 2:18 PM, Dennis Marks wrote the following and I, Dennis
    >> Marks, have replied at the bottom:
    >>> I dynamically create 3 select lists from tables. I am having trouble
    >>> changing the background color. Would you look at
    >>> http://www.dcsi.net/~denmarks/amtrak_main.html and tell me how to
    >>> change it? I want the select list background color to be the same as
    >>> the rest of the document.
    >>>

    >> PROBLEM SOLVED

    > You are aware that there are no select items for the 10-15% of your
    > visitors who have JavaScript disabled?
    >
    > Also, your absolute positioning really borks when a vision-impaired user
    > increases the font size.
    > http://k75s.home.att.net/show/dcsi.jpg
    >
    > I thought it looked better when the selects were white. The background
    > color you've chosen is rather .. dull.

    I do this for fun and like playing with javascript. I have no idea of
    another way to do what I do on the page. Very few people will ever visit
    the site. I have very limited knowledge of CSS and would appreciate it
    if you can tell me what changes to make to allow font size changes not
    to affect the page. Relative and Absolute positioning have always
    puzzled me.

    --
    Dennis M. Marks

    Dennis Marks, Sep 8, 2006
  5. Dennis Marks

    Dennis Marks Guest

    On 9/8/2006 10:45 AM, Dennis Marks wrote the following and I, Dennis
    Marks, have replied at the bottom:
    > On 9/7/2006 5:29 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote the following and I,
    > Dennis Marks, have replied at the bottom:
    >> In alt.html, Dennis Marks wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 9/7/2006 2:18 PM, Dennis Marks wrote the following and I, Dennis
    >>> Marks, have replied at the bottom:
    >>>>
    >>> PROBLEM SOLVED

    >> You are aware that there are no select items for the 10-15% of your
    >> visitors who have JavaScript disabled?
    >>
    >> Also, your absolute positioning really borks when a vision-impaired user
    >> increases the font size.
    >> http://k75s.home.att.net/show/dcsi.jpg
    >>
    >> I thought it looked better when the selects were white. The background
    >> color you've chosen is rather .. dull.
    >>

    > I do this for fun and like playing with javascript. I have no idea of
    > another way to do what I do on the page. Very few people will ever visit
    > the site. I have very limited knowledge of CSS and would appreciate it
    > if you can tell me what changes to make to allow font size changes not
    > to affect the page. Relative and Absolute positioning have always
    > puzzled me.

    I tried changing to relative positioning but there is too much text,
    such as the heading, in fixed positions. I will have to leave it as is
    unless I redesign the entire web site. Thanks for your advice anyway.

    --
    Dennis M. Marks

    Dennis Marks, Sep 8, 2006
  6. In alt.html, Dennis Marks wrote:

    >> I do this for fun and like playing with javascript. I have no idea of
    >> another way to do what I do on the page.

    Ok .. just so you know. <g> (I would probably use a server-side
    process of some sort.)

    >> Very few people will ever visit the site. I have very limited
    >> knowledge of CSS and would appreciate it if you can tell me what
    >> changes to make to allow font size changes not to affect the page.
    >> Relative and Absolute positioning have always puzzled me.

    I don't see any reason why you need to position anything, relative or
    absolute. Set up two divs with the left one floated, and the right one's
    margin at about 25em or so. Below the header, of course.

    > I tried changing to relative positioning but there is too much text,
    > such as the heading, in fixed positions. I will have to leave it as is
    > unless I redesign the entire web site. Thanks for your advice anyway.

    You're right. If I were going to repair the page, I would start over.
    Using a few <div>s would make the whole thing much simpler.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 8, 2006