resizing backgrounds

Steve Pugh

Johannes Reese said:
Is it possible to resize background images?

Open it up in your favourite graphics package and use whatever resize
tools are available.

In HTML and/or CSS. No.

Steve

Toby Inkster

Johannes said:
Is it possible to resize background images?

It will be in CSS 3.0, but don't expect that to be widely implemented for
a few years yet.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
It will be in CSS 3.0, but don't expect that to be widely implemented for
a few years yet.

And if browsers' resizing of images in HTML is anything to go by, it
won't be worth using anyway.

Toby Inkster

Mark said:
And if browsers' resizing of images in HTML is anything to go by, it
won't be worth using anyway.

Opera has a "Smooth Zooming of Images" option in preferences, that
improves thins somewhat, although there's still a way to go before it
catches up with even The GIMP's quick-and-dirty resize.

But when it comes to background images, you're unlikely to be able to
pre-size them in a graphics program, because you don't know the browser
width, so browser-resized background images become a very attractive
option.

Lauri Raittila

Actually, it makes sence to zoom images, especially if it they won't fir
screen otherwise. I just made a page that makes image go smaller if it
don't fit window, and I think it is better than horizontal scrolling.
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~survos/
It wors nicely, as long as you have enaugh space to fit one word on
window. (yhteiskuntamaantiedettä in this case...)
But when it comes to background images, you're unlikely to be able to
pre-size them in a graphics program, because you don't know the browser
width, so browser-resized background images become a very attractive
option.

And background images can have very low contrast, which makes result
acceptable, even when the worst methods are used.

And, if computers keep getting faster, by the time we have this support,
using better sizing algorithms will be possible in browsers.