  1. Is it possible to resize background images?

    Regards

    Jan
    Johannes Reese, Mar 8, 2005

  2. Johannes Reese

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Johannes Reese <> wrote:

    >Is it possible to resize background images?

    Open it up in your favourite graphics package and use whatever resize
    tools are available.

    In HTML and/or CSS. No.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Mar 8, 2005

  3. Johannes Reese

    Mitja Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 16:34:59 +0100, Johannes Reese <>
    wrote:

    > Is it possible to resize background images?

    With css and html - no. Why do you want to?
    Mitja, Mar 8, 2005
  4. Johannes Reese

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Johannes Reese <> said:

    > Is it possible to resize background images?

    Yes. Use your favourite image editing software.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Mar 8, 2005
  5. Johannes Reese

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Johannes Reese wrote:

    > Is it possible to resize background images?

    It will be in CSS 3.0, but don't expect that to be widely implemented for
    a few years yet.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Mar 9, 2005
  6. Johannes Reese

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Toby Inkster <>
    said:
    > Johannes Reese wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to resize background images?

    > It will be in CSS 3.0, but don't expect that to be widely implemented for
    > a few years yet.

    And if browsers' resizing of images in HTML is anything to go by, it
    won't be worth using anyway.

    Mark Parnell, Mar 9, 2005
  7. Johannes Reese

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    > And if browsers' resizing of images in HTML is anything to go by, it
    > won't be worth using anyway.

    Opera has a "Smooth Zooming of Images" option in preferences, that
    improves thins somewhat, although there's still a way to go before it
    catches up with even The GIMP's quick-and-dirty resize.

    But when it comes to background images, you're unlikely to be able to
    pre-size them in a graphics program, because you don't know the browser
    width, so browser-resized background images become a very attractive
    option.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Mar 10, 2005
  8. in alt.html, Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >
    > > And if browsers' resizing of images in HTML is anything to go by, it
    > > won't be worth using anyway.

    Actually, it makes sence to zoom images, especially if it they won't fir
    screen otherwise. I just made a page that makes image go smaller if it
    don't fit window, and I think it is better than horizontal scrolling.
    http://www.student.oulu.fi/~survos/
    It wors nicely, as long as you have enaugh space to fit one word on
    window. (yhteiskuntamaantiedettä in this case...)

    > But when it comes to background images, you're unlikely to be able to
    > pre-size them in a graphics program, because you don't know the browser
    > width, so browser-resized background images become a very attractive
    > option.

    And background images can have very low contrast, which makes result
    acceptable, even when the worst methods are used.

    And, if computers keep getting faster, by the time we have this support,
    using better sizing algorithms will be possible in browsers.

    Utrecht, NL.
    Lauri Raittila, Mar 10, 2005