Resolved: Problem with STRUTS validator mask regexp

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roland, Mar 31, 2005.

  1. Roland

    Roland Guest

    Hello,

    I have posted the following a while back(2005-03-18), the solution is
    at the end:

    I have the following problem when trying to use the validator. I have
    a field
    which should have an entry with the following pattern:

    dddd.d+ (4 digits followed by a dot followed by 1 or more digits)

    Optionally the field can be empty. Note that strings consisting only
    of WHITESPACE are not accepted!

    Ok, using the following link I tested two regular expressions that do
    what I want:
    http://jakarta.apache.org/oro/demo.html

    Both of these work:
    ^(\A\Z)|(\d{4}\.\d+)$
    ^(^$)|(\d{4}\.\d+)$

    Now, if I put either of them in my validation.xml file:

    <constant-value>^(^$)|(\d{4}\.\d+)$</constant-value>
    <constant-value>^(\A\Z)|(\d{4}\.\d+)$</constant-value>

    It doesn't work as expected. It happens that strings consisting only
    of whitespace are accepted!

    Solution:

    Basically what happens is that when the field has only whitespace the
    validator considers it as empty and doesn't run it through the
    validation routines. That's why whitespace strings are accepted.
    Roland, Mar 31, 2005