Response.Redirect Custom Protocol, not http

Nick

Hi there,

I would like to perform something like the following from my vb.net web
service, being invoked via HTTP Post

Call HttpContext.Current.Response.Redirect("myprotocol://myurl")

Unfortunately I do not seem to be able to redirect to a custom protocol
url, any ideas why? Basically I'm trying to implement this functionality so
no coding need take place to get the redirection from the consuming web
page.

Cheers for any advice.

Nick.

Anthony Jones

Nick said:
Hi there,

I would like to perform something like the following from my vb.net web
service, being invoked via HTTP Post

Call HttpContext.Current.Response.Redirect("myprotocol://myurl")

Unfortunately I do not seem to be able to redirect to a custom protocol
url, any ideas why? Basically I'm trying to implement this functionality
so no coding need take place to get the redirection from the consuming web
page.

Redirect is a function of the HTTP protocol. Redirections are usually
handled silently within the HTTP stack on the client so I doubt such a
redirection can work without its co-operation. Do have reason to believe
that it ought to work?

George

I do not see why it should not work...
You need to be more verbose.
When you saying that you "not seem to be able to redirect to a custom
protocol" what exactly do you mean?
Do you know where problem is.
It might be in a browser when browser simply does not understand
myprotocol://myurl or it might be in a ASP.NET if Response.Redirect tries to
analyze the URL before sending to the browser

Install tool from Microsoft called http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/ it
will help you see what browser is getting from the server.

George.

Nick

Hi Anthony,
Redirect is a function of the HTTP protocol. Redirections are usually
handled silently within the HTTP stack on the client so I doubt such a
redirection can work without its co-operation. Do have reason to believe
that it ought to work?

Okay I thought that the browser itself handled the redirection so I guess
that makes sense.

"Do have reason to believe that it ought to work?"

Uhhh clearly, otherwise why would I have tried it?

Nick.

Nick

Hi George,

Cheers, I wasn't aware of that application, I shall take a look at it,
thanks for your help, I'll see what I can find.

Nick.

George

You welcome,

Just a tip from me...
2 tools i can not do web development without.

1. Fiddler (Best to work with IE).
2. FireBug - plug-in for Firefox. Best to analyse Javascript errors, DHTML
layout...Highly recomended.

PS: There is IE Development Toolbar which is simmilar to FireBug but has
very reduced functionality. Still good since it works in IE and FireBug only
for FireFox.

George.

Anthony Jones

George said:
You welcome,

Just a tip from me...
2 tools i can not do web development without.

1. Fiddler (Best to work with IE).

Works well enough with with FF as well, you just need to configure FF proxy
settings manually.
2. FireBug - plug-in for Firefox. Best to analyse Javascript errors, DHTML
layout...Highly recomended.

PS: There is IE Development Toolbar which is simmilar to FireBug but has
very reduced functionality. Still good since it works in IE and FireBug
only for FireFox.

Of course with Visual studio present the Development toolbar does all it
needs to. FireBug is buggy when it comes to debugging script but quite
usuable.

John Saunders

Nick said:
Hi there,

I would like to perform something like the following from my vb.net web
service, being invoked via HTTP Post

Call HttpContext.Current.Response.Redirect("myprotocol://myurl")

Unfortunately I do not seem to be able to redirect to a custom protocol
url, any ideas why? Basically I'm trying to implement this functionality
so no coding need take place to get the redirection from the consuming web
page.

Are you consuming the web service from client-side JavaScript? Also, does
the client know about your custom protocol?

Nick

Hi George,

I've run fiddler and it looks like response.redirect is returning the
correct information,

-------
HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Cache-Control: private, max-age=0
Location: myprotocol://foobar/?param=hello
Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.0
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:21:24 GMT

<h2>Object moved to <a
href="myprotocol://foobar/?param=hello">here</a>.</h2>
--------

So I'm guessing as Anthony has suggested that it's all handled in the
HTTP stack so therefore won't work. It's a bit frustrating really as it
means I have no chance of making a "codeless" sample. But I guess 3 lines
doesn't hurt too much.

Nick.

George

Yea, seems to me the problem is on a client.
Although you probably can "cheat" the browser.
Return an HTML page that has javascript.
window.location="myprotocol://foobar/?param=hello";

It might work...

George.