    page.

    Cheers for any advice.

    Nick.
    Nick, Sep 11, 2008

  2. "Nick" <> wrote in message
    news:%23Iv54b$...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I would like to perform something like the following from my vb.net web
    > service, being invoked via HTTP Post
    >
    > Call HttpContext.Current.Response.Redirect("myprotocol://myurl")
    >
    > Unfortunately I do not seem to be able to redirect to a custom protocol
    > url, any ideas why? Basically I'm trying to implement this functionality
    > so no coding need take place to get the redirection from the consuming web
    > page.

    Redirect is a function of the HTTP protocol. Redirections are usually
    handled silently within the HTTP stack on the client so I doubt such a
    redirection can work without its co-operation. Do have reason to believe
    that it ought to work?

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, Sep 11, 2008

  3. Nick

    George Guest

    I do not see why it should not work...
    You need to be more verbose.
    When you saying that you "not seem to be able to redirect to a custom
    protocol" what exactly do you mean?
    Do you know where problem is.
    It might be in a browser when browser simply does not understand
    myprotocol://myurl or it might be in a ASP.NET if Response.Redirect tries to
    analyze the URL before sending to the browser

    Install tool from Microsoft called http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/ it
    will help you see what browser is getting from the server.

    George.

    George, Sep 11, 2008
  4. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Hi Anthony,

    > Redirect is a function of the HTTP protocol. Redirections are usually
    > handled silently within the HTTP stack on the client so I doubt such a
    > redirection can work without its co-operation. Do have reason to believe
    > that it ought to work?

    Okay I thought that the browser itself handled the redirection so I guess
    that makes sense.

    "Do have reason to believe that it ought to work?"

    Uhhh clearly, otherwise why would I have tried it?

    Nick.
    Nick, Sep 11, 2008
  5. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Hi George,

    Cheers, I wasn't aware of that application, I shall take a look at it,
    thanks for your help, I'll see what I can find.

    Nick.

    Nick, Sep 11, 2008
  6. Nick

    George Guest

    You welcome,

    Just a tip from me...
    2 tools i can not do web development without.

    1. Fiddler (Best to work with IE).
    2. FireBug - plug-in for Firefox. Best to analyse Javascript errors, DHTML
    layout...Highly recomended.

    PS: There is IE Development Toolbar which is simmilar to FireBug but has
    very reduced functionality. Still good since it works in IE and FireBug only
    for FireFox.

    George.

    George, Sep 11, 2008
  7. "George" <> wrote in message
    > You welcome,
    >
    > Just a tip from me...
    > 2 tools i can not do web development without.
    >
    > 1. Fiddler (Best to work with IE).

    Works well enough with with FF as well, you just need to configure FF proxy
    settings manually.

    > 2. FireBug - plug-in for Firefox. Best to analyse Javascript errors, DHTML
    > layout...Highly recomended.
    >
    > PS: There is IE Development Toolbar which is simmilar to FireBug but has
    > very reduced functionality. Still good since it works in IE and FireBug
    > only for FireFox.

    Of course with Visual studio present the Development toolbar does all it
    needs to. FireBug is buggy when it comes to debugging script but quite
    usuable.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, Sep 11, 2008
  8. "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I would like to perform something like the following from my vb.net web
    > service, being invoked via HTTP Post
    >
    > Call HttpContext.Current.Response.Redirect("myprotocol://myurl")
    >
    > Unfortunately I do not seem to be able to redirect to a custom protocol
    > url, any ideas why? Basically I'm trying to implement this functionality
    > so no coding need take place to get the redirection from the consuming web
    > page.

    Are you consuming the web service from client-side JavaScript? Also, does
    the client know about your custom protocol?

    John Saunders, Sep 11, 2008
  9. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Hi George,

    I've run fiddler and it looks like response.redirect is returning the
    correct information,

    -------
    HTTP/1.1 302 Found
    Cache-Control: private, max-age=0
    Location: myprotocol://foobar/?param=hello
    Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.0
    Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:21:24 GMT

    <h2>Object moved to <a
    href="myprotocol://foobar/?param=hello">here</a>.</h2>
    --------

    So I'm guessing as Anthony has suggested that it's all handled in the
    HTTP stack so therefore won't work. It's a bit frustrating really as it
    means I have no chance of making a "codeless" sample. But I guess 3 lines
    doesn't hurt too much.

    Nick.

    Nick, Sep 17, 2008
  10. Nick

    George Guest

    Yea, seems to me the problem is on a client.
    Although you probably can "cheat" the browser.
    Return an HTML page that has javascript.
    window.location="myprotocol://foobar/?param=hello";

    It might work...

    George.

    George, Sep 17, 2008