"Restoring data into SoapMapper anyType failed" error

lonnie.lewis

Hi all,
I'm a consumer of a web service which is defining an output parameter
as an "xsd:anyType":

<message name="MyTransaction.IsWebServicesDataValid">
<part name="varDisplayMessage" type="xsd:anyType"/>
<part name="varErrorOccurred" type="xsd:anyType"/>
<part name="varErrorDescription" type="xsd:anyType"/>
</message>

When I import the WSDL (as a web reference), the resulting signature
appears as "ref object varDisplayMessage", etc. I have some sample code
using Visual Basic that uses a simple Variant type to pass this. I
can't figure out how to do this in C#. When I define an object as:

object DisplayMessage = null;

and pass it as:

ref DisplayMessage

I get an error showing: "Restoring data into SoapMapper anyType
failed"

What am I doing wrong?