restrict asp access to resources

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by James, May 28, 2004.

  1. James

    James Guest

    Hi,

    I am running a virtual hosting server. The configuration of server is
    as follows:

    Windows 2000
    IIS 5.0

    All the virtual hosting sites are running as seperate user ie for the
    site www.xxx.com is running under xxxIIS and www.yyy.com is running as
    yyyIIS. I have also taken some precautionary file system security
    measures like the group everyone is not present in c:\ and directories
    corresponding to sites. But at the same time I can not remove everyone
    access from the full system, I will need to keep them in few
    directories.
    This can lead to an asp code that is present on the server to do stuff
    like browsing through the file system, reading the contents of file
    etc. For ex if I have everyone acccess to c:\winnt\system32 then any
    person on the server can write code to view the contents inside
    folder.
    I want to know if there is any way to restrict the script belonging to
    one virtual hosting site to access only the contents of that site.
    example the site www.xxx.com present inside
    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\www.xxx.com directory and can access only the
    contents inside this and the child directories. Is this possible? I
    searched the on google but could not find any link that gives me any
    information on this. It will really be a valuable information to me.

    Thanks in Advance

    James, May 28, 2004