Returning Dataset

Anthony Leuzzi

I have been working on a .NET application architecture for a client for the
past several months based on many of the patterns & practices described by
Microsoft and other major .NET sites on the Web.

In a nut shell I have a Data Access Layer which access the database through
a Data Application block. This data is returned as a ADO.NET dataset to the
business Access layer. Through .NET data binding, the presentation layer,
Windows Forms or ASP.NET, binds itself to the business access layer classes.

The question that was posed to me by a set of developers who are on a Java
platform is. How can we access your data though your business access layer
and create our own presentation layer is JSP. Maybe tomorrow it will be
Flash.

My first instinct is to use webservices and use the GetXML methods of the
Dataset object. I think that will get them existing data, but what about
new records or records that have been deleted. How would they have to
format that XML coming back.

Thanks in advance
Anthony