reverse engineer

glunk

Well. We kind of skipped design in our project. I have a bunch of classes is
a bunch of packages. I wonder if any of you know of a free or cheap tool to
reverse engineer code into a class diagram? I believe that things are not
right, but I want to be able to "see" from a class diagram.

Thanks

Roedy Green

Well. We kind of skipped design in our project. I have a bunch of classes is
a bunch of packages. I wonder if any of you know of a free or cheap tool to
reverse engineer code into a class diagram? I believe that things are not
right, but I want to be able to "see" from a class diagram.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/uml.html
for some options.

Andrew Thompson

One of your links (the first one) doesn't work

Works just fine from here (tested moments ago)

A general tip though. I presumed Roedy
had mis-typed it, so went looking.

1) <http://mindprod.com/jgloss/u.html>
2) Which pointed me directly to it.

It took me longer to figure that the
URL I ended at was exactly the same
as what Roedy posted, than it took to
look it up in the index..

So.. if Roedy *has* mistyped a link,
it is 'more optimal' to locate and post
the correct address..

HTH

Roedy Green

One of your links (the first one) doesn't work

There are three possible links you could be talking about.

The first is my email address munged to prevent automated spam
harvesting. It is torturously indirect. You must visit my website
mindprod.com, look at the top of a page for a link to my email
address, click it, the view a PNG graphics file. All this madness is
to discourage spammers. Unfortunately, it confuses and annoys legit
callers like yourself.

I have no other choice. Otherwise I get so much spam my ISP closes my
account.

The second link is just an incomplete message id
to uniquely
identify the message. I don't even think it is intended for a browser.

The third http://mindprod.com/jgloss/uml.html link works, at least for
me.

Roedy Green

So.. if Roedy *has* mistyped a link,
it is 'more optimal' to locate and post
the correct address..

The Java glossary home page is http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss.html

Bookmark that and you can find things pretty fast in the letter index
or in the google site search when I screw up.

The most common errors I make are
typing http://mindprod.com/jgloss/fileio.html instead
of http://mindprod.com/fileio.html

and http://mindprod.com/gotchas.html
for http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gotchas.html

In other words, try whatever I type with or without a /jgloss/ if you
don't first succeed.

The other common typo I make is mangling the .html to .hthl or .hml
etc.

I am more and more doing a copy text to get them perfect for you first
time, at least for the ones I don't know for sure off by heart.

Roedy Green

There are four links to UML CASE designers: Argo/UML, LOREx2, etc... Well
the first one, Argo/UML returns a dead link. I tried it again

The problem is the average life of a link is about two years. It
takes perhaps 15 minutes or so to fully research a broken link. I
leave that work up to you and beg you to report your findings. Is the
product truly dead? Or has it merely moved and where? Sometimes links
disappear for a vacation and then reappear. How long should I give
them to resurface?

The Internet needs an automated way to deal with updating changing
links. see

http://mindprod.com/projects/htmllinkpatcher.html

http://mindprod.com/projects/htmlbrokenlink.html

http://mindprod.com/projects/htmlsplitter.html

People can do this research work for themselves just as easily as I,
and they know which links are the most important to research. There
are far too many breaks for me to keep up with alone. I don't know
which to tackle first except when people put in their complaints as
you just did.

Tim Berners Lee said that the 404 error is simultaneously the greatest
bane and secret of the success of the web.