tool for reverse engineer to sequence diagram

VisionSet

I need a tool to reverse engineer *source code* or byte code to a sequence
diagram and preferably class diagrams too (although my Rose does a fair job
of that).

Needs to be free or trial version.

Does Together/J (from boland?) have a trial/free version these days?

I've tried JVider, but that doesn't seem to do sequence diagrams. Does it?

Poseidon doesn't do reverse engineer in the community edition?

Anyone know of anything?

Can't believe googling on this group doesn't pull up anything recent on
this.

VisionSet

VisionSet said:
I need a tool to reverse engineer *source code* or byte code to a sequence
diagram and preferably class diagrams too (although my Rose does a fair job
of that).

OR...

Does anyone know how to get Rational Rose to generate sequence diagrams
after you have reverse engineered your code?
If indeed it can, but I hear it can.

EventHelix.com

Does anyone know how to get Rational Rose to generate sequence diagrams
after you have reverse engineered your code?
If indeed it can, but I hear it can.

To the best of my knowledge Rational Rose just reverse engineers the static
class structure. For a tool to generate sequence diagrams, you will need
a tool that instruments the code and generates sequence diagram as *your*
code executes.

Sandeep

Thomas Weidenfeller

VisionSet said:
I need a tool to reverse engineer *source code* or byte code to a sequence
diagram

I would say this is impossible for any non-trivial case. The actual
sequence of method invocations depends on the state of the objects and
input data and can't completely be determined by static analysis of the
source code.

The number of potential sequences in a non trivial program is huge, so a
brute force method (just drawing every variant) is not practical, too.

/Thomas

VisionSet

Thomas Weidenfeller said:
I would say this is impossible for any non-trivial case. The actual
sequence of method invocations depends on the state of the objects and
input data and can't completely be determined by static analysis of the
source code.

The number of potential sequences in a non trivial program is huge, so a
brute force method (just drawing every variant) is not practical, too.

Yes I suppose you are right. I've got a trial version of MagicDraw running
and that has a nice solution. You can drag and drop objects and initiate a
message and complete it from a choice of possible methods. All after a very
straightforward automated roundtrip analysis.

Joined
May 5, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Java reverse engineering to Sequence Diagram

I have a tool that meets your requirements exactly. Check it out

sourceforge.net/projects/javacalltracer/

In addition to being a reverse engineering tool for java it is also very lightweight. You can control the what you want to record from your java program.