    InstallShield itself, but how?

    Any tips are welcome.

    Gui

    Gui, Oct 27, 2007

  2. Gui

    Gui Guest

    On 27 out, 08:32, Gui <> wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I have unpacked an all-in-one exe produced by InstallShield. I've made
    > the necessary changes and now I'm ready to repack the files.
    >
    > How can I do that? Which program should I use?
    >
    > For unpacking I used IsXunpack. But which one should I use to repack
    > the files into an all-in-one exe again? Maybe I should use
    > InstallShield itself, but how?
    >
    > Any tips are welcome.
    >
    > Gui

    Any ideas??

    Gui, Oct 27, 2007

  3. Gui wrote:
    > On 27 out, 08:32, Gui <> wrote:
    >> Hi folks,
    >>
    >> I have unpacked an all-in-one exe produced by InstallShield. I've
    >> made the necessary changes and now I'm ready to repack the files.
    >>
    >> How can I do that? Which program should I use?
    >>
    >> For unpacking I used IsXunpack. But which one should I use to repack
    >> the files into an all-in-one exe again? Maybe I should use
    >> InstallShield itself, but how?
    >>
    >> Any tips are welcome.
    >>
    >> Gui

    > Any ideas??

    Ask elsewhere. Here we talk C++ and your question has nothing to
    do with it.

    Victor Bazarov, Oct 27, 2007
  4. Gui

    Gui Guest

    On 27 out, 13:56, "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote:
    > Gui wrote:
    > > On 27 out, 08:32, Gui <> wrote:
    > >> Hi folks,

    > >> I have unpacked an all-in-one exe produced by InstallShield. I've
    > >> made the necessary changes and now I'm ready to repack the files.

    > >> How can I do that? Which program should I use?

    > >> For unpacking I used IsXunpack. But which one should I use to repack
    > >> the files into an all-in-one exe again? Maybe I should use
    > >> InstallShield itself, but how?

    > >> Any tips are welcome.

    > >> Gui

    > > Any ideas??

    > Ask elsewhere. Here we talk C++ and your question has nothing to
    > do with it.

    It's easy to say to ask elsewhere. How about suggesting this place?

    I have looked for InstallShield related groups, but those I found are
    almost died with few and not so active users. That's why I gave C++ a
    try.

    Gui

    Gui, Oct 27, 2007
  5. Gui

    Guest

    On Oct 27, 1:28 pm, Gui <> wrote:
    > On 27 out, 13:56, "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Gui wrote:

    > > > Any ideas??

    > > Ask elsewhere. Here we talk C++ and your question has nothing to
    > > do with it.

    > > --
    > > Please remove capital 'A's when replying by e-mail
    > > I do not respond to top-posted replies, please don't ask

    > It's easy to say to ask elsewhere. How about suggesting this place?
    >
    > I have looked for InstallShield related groups, but those I found are
    > almost died with few and not so active users. That's why I gave C++ a
    > try.
    >
    > Gui

    NSIS is the one I love. Google is your friend.

    , Oct 27, 2007
  6. Gui

    Gui Guest

    On 27 out, 16:12, "" <> wrote:
    > On Oct 27, 1:28 pm, Gui <> wrote:

    > > > Ask elsewhere. Here we talk C++ and your question has nothing to
    > > > do with it.

    > > > --
    > > > Please remove capital 'A's when replying by e-mail
    > > > I do not respond to top-posted replies, please don't ask

    > > It's easy to say to ask elsewhere. How about suggesting this place?

    > > I have looked for InstallShield related groups, but those I found are
    > > almost died with few and not so active users. That's why I gave C++ a
    > > try.

    > > Gui

    > NSIS is the one I love. Google is your friend.

    Nullsoft Install System (NSIS)? I can't use it.

    The reason being all my install files are InstallShield's, including
    the installation script, the CAB files etc. It would be infeasible to
    convert all these files to NSIS formats.

    I need a way to put them back into the InstallShield all-in-one exe.

    I find it interesting that IsXunpack is capable of unpacking the the
    all-in-one exe, but cannot repack it. Why can't repack it? It should
    be as simple as unpacking...

    I suspect the reason is there already exist an easy way to do it,
    which I am missing because I am a newbie on InstallShield matters.
    There's got to be a way using some InstallShield itself.

    Anyone with InstallShield experience??

    My final attempt to figure it out will be asking on InstallShied
    forums. But I'm reluctant because InstallShield folks don't quite like
    the idea of reverse engineering their exe packages...

    Gui

    Gui, Oct 28, 2007
  7. Gui

    red floyd Guest

    Gui wrote:
    > It's easy to say to ask elsewhere. How about suggesting this place?
    >
    > I have looked for InstallShield related groups, but those I found are
    > almost died with few and not so active users. That's why I gave C++ a
    > try.

    I'm looking for banana daquiri recipes.

    I have looked for banana daquire related groups, but those I found are
    almost dead with few and not so active users. That's why I gave the C++
    group a try.

    See the point?

    red floyd, Oct 29, 2007
  8. Gui

    n3o Guest

    Gui wrote:
    > On 27 out, 16:12, "" <> wrote:

    > > > It's easy to say to ask elsewhere. How about suggesting this place?

    > > > I have looked for InstallShield related groups, but those I found are
    > > > almost died with few and not so active users. That's why I gave C++ a
    > > > try.

    > > > Gui

    > > NSIS is the one I love. Google is your friend.

    > Nullsoft Install System (NSIS)? I can't use it.
    >
    > The reason being all my install files are InstallShield's, including
    > the installation script, the CAB files etc. It would be infeasible to
    > convert all these files to NSIS formats.
    >
    > I need a way to put them back into the InstallShield all-in-one exe.
    >
    > I find it interesting that IsXunpack is capable of unpacking the the
    > all-in-one exe, but cannot repack it. Why can't repack it? It should
    > be as simple as unpacking...
    >
    > I suspect the reason is there already exist an easy way to do it,
    > which I am missing because I am a newbie on InstallShield matters.
    > There's got to be a way using some InstallShield itself.
    >
    > Anyone with InstallShield experience??
    >
    > My final attempt to figure it out will be asking on InstallShied
    > forums. But I'm reluctant because InstallShield folks don't quite like
    > the idea of reverse engineering their exe packages...
    >

    > Gui

    First of all, I know for a fact that this has nothing to do with
    reverse engineering. Second of all, if you knew the definition of
    reverse engineering then you would not have used the term incorrectly.
    Reverse engineering is simply taking something apart, studying the
    inner works of that system, and possibly creating something new that
    is similar to the original system, however, the new system does not
    use any parts of the originating system. You specifically said that
    you, "unpacked the files from an InstallShield .exe file which has
    nothing to do with reverse engineering because you technically did not
    take apart the exe, but simply extracted the files that were
    compressed within the InstallShield exe. Hell, I can do that with just
    winrar by just right clicking on the .exe Install Shield file and
    telling it to unpack all the files to that directory. I just wanted to
    verify with you that what you are doing is not considered reverse
    engineering. As the rest have mentioned, this is not the right
    community to ask. That's like someone asking a police officer if he/
    she knew the best place to get a pack of weed. You just don't ask
    certain things at certain places.

    n3o, Oct 29, 2007