rmagick and debian unstable

Cameron McBride

Anyone use new rmagick on debian unstable (sid)? via gems?

Trying to do a naive gem install, resulted in borkage. Trying from
source, seemed to result in same borkage. (./configure --without-perl
--without-magick-plus-plus --enable-shared --disable-static) btw,
there wasn't a pretty summary at the end like README.txt seemed to
indicate. has this been removed? (could possibly be prevented by
these errors, too).

I haven't looked in depth (hoping someone might have an idea to save
me some time). Versions are:
% Magick-config --version
6.2.3
% ruby -v
ruby 1.8.2 (2005-04-11) [i386-linux]

and the 1.8.3 release of rmagick (gem and .tgz)

There are compile errors, but it seems to be based on:=20

checking magick/api.h usability... no
checking magick/api.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: magick/api.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: magick/api.h: check for missing prerequisite header=
s?
configure: WARNING: magick/api.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: magick/api.h: section "Present But Cannot Be Compil=
ed"
configure: WARNING: magick/api.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: magick/api.h: in the future, the compiler will
take precedence
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING: ## Report this to (e-mail address removed) ##
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
checking for magick/api.h... yes

A longer error list from the gem up until a ^C can be found at:=20
http://rafb.net/paste/results/Ph28ft15.html

TIA!

Cameron

Timothy Hunter

Cameron said:
Anyone use new rmagick on debian unstable (sid)? via gems?
Cameron told me off-line that the version of ImageMagick in sid is
6.2.3-1. This version includes a change which makes it impossible to use
with RMagick. I reported the problem when 6.2.3-1 was first released
and the ImageMagick team immediately released a fixed version, 6.2.3-2.
However, this fixed version is not yet available for debian unstable.

The most recent version of ImageMagick is 6.2.3-3 and is available from
ftp.imagemagick.org.