RSLinx and asp.

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by babak, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. babak

    babak Guest

    I need a help (either pointers to where to post this message,or actual
    pointers on my problem).
    I'm getting very frustrated in here.
    I decided to write the interface between RSLinx and microsoft IIS.
    It seems that every time I'm almost there I stumble on yet another
    ‘GOT YOU !!!'.
    I'm beginning to think that it is simply impassible to create the .asp
    page which will
    be able to post or get the data to and from RSLinx. (all the
    processing to be done on the web server)
    There are a dozens of activex components that could be utilized for
    this function, but to me it looks like those components have no right
    to work insight the .asp page this is why (and please correct me if
    I'm wrong pointing me to the resource o the web which proves it ) :

    1.OPC is riding on top of the DDE.
    2.Every call made from the asp page is running in it's own memory
    space without the actual application space.

    Which means that it can not communicate with the DDE or OPC server
    running under the different memory space. (even if it runs as the
    service)

    I think that most of the ActiveX components are designed to interface
    with the DDE/OPC servers running and accessible from within the same
    program and application space. And because of that, all of them are
    functioning perfectly well when called from within the client
    application running on the desktop with the forms, and text boxes
    behind.
    I have not seen one single working example on the call from within the
    asp page running on the Microsoft server which has the OPC/DDE server
    installed on it.

    I have created a simple DDE to RSLinx ActiveX control using the VB6
    build DDE support . Worked fine on the client did not work in the
    asp. Then I created the ActiveX control that talks to the RSLinx over
    the DDE using the DDClient controls – no problem works fine as the
    client VB application, refuses to work as the asp. So at the end I
    have build the VB6 ActiveX dll which was using the RSLinx objects.
    Again the same problem … goes ‘belly up' if called from within the
    asp, perfectly fine from the application running on the console.
    Before I waste any more time and invest any $ for the third party
    components that claim to work I would like to ask the ‘world' to prove
    me that I'm wrong and interfacing RSLinx to the WWW is realy passible.
    (some simple working and tested code will be much appreciated)

    I'm willing to start a new project and distribute the code under the
    GPL if needed. And please reply to the post and only if you know that
    the information is corect. What I found is that there is a lot of the
    answers to the usenet groups which are not productive.

    /Babak
    babak at op.pl

    PS.
    I want to let you know that I even went as far as reconfiguring the
    account under which my IIS is running so it is not I_USR anymore. I
    even made the new www service account as the administrator of the box,
    I logged in to the server with that account ( so the registry is
    populated for that user). In my activex component class I also created
    a basic function that returns some values – in order to test the
    correct component registration. I can still make the ADO and FS
    references but every time any type of the reference to RSLinx or DDE
    happens it goes belly up. I have no $ to spend on the RSLinx SDK, and
    quite frankly I'm affrait that even if I spend those $ I will still be
    in the same point which I'm in right now.
    babak, Apr 29, 2004

  2. Have you tried asking about this here?

    http://www.software.rockwell.com/forum/rslinx/

    Charles Erskine, Apr 30, 2004