rss auto-discovery

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by John A Grandy, Aug 11, 2006.

  1. Could someone explain exactly how RSS auto-discovery works ? Thanks.

    John A Grandy, Aug 11, 2006

  2. Instead of subscribing to a URL, you subscribe to a site, and meta code in
    the head of the sites pages informs your browsers RSS auto-discovery
    mechanim that RSS exists to subscribe to. It removes the need to subscribe
    directly to an RSS file URL that can change and create an invalid source in
    thousands of subscribers shopuld the actual RSS location be changed by the
    owner.

    Excellent, though very techncial explanation of it all here.
    http://philringnalda.com/rfc/draft-ietf-atompub-autodiscovery-01.html

    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)

    John Timney \(MVP\), Aug 11, 2006

  3. Hi John, and thanks for the response.

    The meta code must be placed in the head section , correct ?

    The meta code can contain an RSS url , correct ? Does it have to ?

    Does the presence of the meta code cause the browser to examine / make a
    request for every link in the page to determine if it's an rss feed ?

    John A Grandy, Aug 11, 2006
  4. "John A Grandy" <johnagrandy-at-yahoo-dot-com> wrote in message
    > Hi John, and thanks for the response.
    >
    > The meta code must be placed in the head section , correct ?

    Yes

    > The meta code can contain an RSS url , correct ? Does it have to ?

    For auto discovery it should contain a link to an ATOM file (index.atom for
    example) or an XML file as per the spec.

    > Does the presence of the meta code cause the browser to examine / make a
    > request for every link in the page to determine if it's an rss feed ?

    I dont believe so, the meta to the atom or xml file contain the information
    so that should be enough for the browser to work with.

    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)

    John Timney \(MVP\), Aug 11, 2006