RSS Feed - need an Idiot's Guide to RSS News on my website

Discussion in 'HTML' started by teach_me6@hotmail.com, Feb 24, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi, I'm new to RSS, XML, ETC... I attemped to follow some experts
    directions but my synapses glazed over. I can code basic HTML stuff,
    but that is about my limit.

    Is there a simple step-by-step guide to adding these popular RSS News
    Feeds to my website? I don't have access to to install new stuff on
    the server, and hope I can still add these new bells to my site. Thank
    you for your help.

    Signed,
    feeling sorta stupid
    , Feb 24, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. wrote:

    > Hi, I'm new to RSS, XML, ETC... I attempted to follow some experts
    > directions but my synapses glazed over. I can code basic HTML stuff,
    > but that is about my limit.


    To get feeds working, you must separate your content from the layout first.
    It sounds to me like you write static pages.

    > Is there a simple step-by-step guide to adding these popular RSS News
    > Feeds to my website?


    Off-the-shelf installations are probably the least time consuming and the
    most reliable.

    > I don't have access to to install new stuff on
    > the server, and hope I can still add these new bells to my site. Thank
    > you for your help.


    Do you at least have an SQL server? There are several different options for
    creating feeds, but it seems to me like you turn to the more difficult
    ones.

    > Signed,
    > feeling sorta stupid


    This is actually an advanced-level question about a recent technology.

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Feb 24, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. SpaceGirl Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi, I'm new to RSS, XML, ETC... I attemped to follow some experts
    > directions but my synapses glazed over. I can code basic HTML stuff,
    > but that is about my limit.
    >
    > Is there a simple step-by-step guide to adding these popular RSS News
    > Feeds to my website? I don't have access to to install new stuff on
    > the server, and hope I can still add these new bells to my site. Thank
    > you for your help.
    >
    > Signed,
    > feeling sorta stupid
    >


    As Roy said, this is not that simple. The way we do it on our sites =

    ASP script (running on server) reads the latest news from the database
    and packages it up as XML, and spits out the XML in RSS format to
    whatever calls the script.

    Example:

    http://www.subhuman.net/news/garbagexml.asp
    SpaceGirl, Feb 24, 2005
    #3
  4. Steve Pugh Guest

    SpaceGirl <> wrote:

    >ASP script (running on server) reads the latest news from the database
    >and packages it up as XML, and spits out the XML in RSS format to
    >whatever calls the script.
    >
    >Example:
    >http://www.subhuman.net/news/garbagexml.asp


    It's being served as text/html so some software won't recognise it as
    a feed. I use application/rss+xml for the one feed I have total
    control over but there are other possibilities such as text/xml. I
    don't think there's one absolute best choice, but text/html is wrong.

    Steve

    --
    "My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you,
    I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Feb 24, 2005
    #4
  5. Guest

    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I can code basic HTML stuff,
    but that is about my limit.
    I was hoping for an "Rss Feed for idiots" or basic steps to setting up
    an RSS Feed. The search continues.
    , Feb 24, 2005
    #5
  6. SpaceGirl Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:
    > SpaceGirl <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>ASP script (running on server) reads the latest news from the database
    >>and packages it up as XML, and spits out the XML in RSS format to
    >>whatever calls the script.
    >>
    >>Example:
    >>http://www.subhuman.net/news/garbagexml.asp

    >
    >
    > It's being served as text/html so some software won't recognise it as
    > a feed. I use application/rss+xml for the one feed I have total
    > control over but there are other possibilities such as text/xml. I
    > don't think there's one absolute best choice, but text/html is wrong.
    >
    > Steve
    >


    You're right. I hadn't noticed! I'll fix that in a minute.
    SpaceGirl, Feb 25, 2005
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. George Durzi

    Finance News RSS Feed

    George Durzi, Dec 3, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    406
    George Durzi
    Dec 3, 2003
  2. mark | r
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    419
    JP Kabala
    Aug 29, 2003
  3. Amy
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    501
  4. Ken

    Rss News Feed's???

    Ken, Oct 18, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net Web Services
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    100
  5. Ara.T.Howard
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    160
    Charles Comstock
    Apr 21, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page