Ruby Article at Linux Journal

Kaspar Schiess

Henrik Horneber said:
You gotta love 'It (ruby) is a veritable Swiss Army machete'.

Being swiss, I can confirm that there is no such thing, and not much use
for it in Switzerland either.

Not that you'd need all the other zillion tools in the swiss army knife,
except that nice screwdriver in the cybertool that lets you open all your
household machines and void warranties all over the place.

yours,
kaspar

hand manufactured code - www.tua.ch/ruby

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Kaspar said:
Not that you'd need all the other zillion tools in the swiss army
knife, except that nice screwdriver in the cybertool that lets you
open all your household machines and void warranties all over the
place.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the *true* swiss army knife only
have very few tools? My Victorinox has six of them and I use them all.
That has nothing to do with a televison series starring Richard Dean
Anderson that I loved and still love to watch(*). The swiss army knife
simply is a very handy tool. I am not swiss but german.

(*) "Mac Guyver" (if you don't know the series: it is some kind of
"'Brianiac - Science abuse' meets 'Indiana Jones'" with aggressive
Victorinox product placement).

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt NOTE: mails >100 KiB are ignored

Michael DeHaan

" it is some kind of
"'Brianiac - Science abuse' meets 'Indiana Jones'" with aggressive
Victorinox product placement"

Don't forget the
liberal/social-welfare/pro-democratic/environmentalist/anti-gun
agenda! No, seriously, I love that show and have seen pretty much
every episode. The plot line can usually be judged based on what
type of car he is driving in the first five minutes as there were
about 5 or 6 car changes throughout the show, and towards the end he
got to go after less KGB-type agents and he would have different
girlfriends that met different tragic deaths.

Also note that Perl is often referred to as the "Swiss Army
Chainsaw"... so what does that make Ruby?

trans. (T. Onoma)

On Friday 10 December 2004 05:51 pm, Michael DeHaan wrote:
| " it is some kind of
| "'Brianiac - Science abuse' meets 'Indiana Jones'" with aggressive
| Victorinox product placement"
|
| Don't forget the
| liberal/social-welfare/pro-democratic/environmentalist/anti-gun
| agenda! No, seriously, I love that show and have seen pretty much
| every episode. The plot line can usually be judged based on what
| type of car he is driving in the first five minutes as there were
| about 5 or 6 car changes throughout the show, and towards the end he
| got to go after less KGB-type agents and he would have different
| girlfriends that met different tragic deaths.

What show is this?

| Also note that Perl is often referred to as the "Swiss Army
| Chainsaw"... so what does that make Ruby?

A Swiss Army Butter-knife?

Michael DeHaan

Ironically I thought about this (the Swiss Army Laser Scalpel) on the way home.

Maybe Swiss Army Plasma Torch?

Swiss Army Laser Scalpel
A Swiss Army Butter-knife?

Maybe Butter is bigger and more threatening where you come from? :)

David A. Black

Hi --

" it is some kind of
"'Brianiac - Science abuse' meets 'Indiana Jones'" with aggressive
Victorinox product placement"

Don't forget the
liberal/social-welfare/pro-democratic/environmentalist/anti-gun
agenda! No, seriously, I love that show and have seen pretty much
every episode. The plot line can usually be judged based on what
type of car he is driving in the first five minutes as there were
about 5 or 6 car changes throughout the show, and towards the end he
got to go after less KGB-type agents and he would have different
girlfriends that met different tragic deaths.

Also note that Perl is often referred to as the "Swiss Army
Chainsaw"... so what does that make Ruby?

Exactly what it would be if Perl were never referred to that way: a
gem of a programming language :)

David

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

Ironically I thought about this (the Swiss Army Laser Scalpel) on the way home.

Maybe Swiss Army Plasma Torch?

Maybe Butter is bigger and more threatening where you come from? :)

Swiss Army Kanata

(Kanata=Japanese sword)

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Michael said:
Also note that Perl is often referred to as the "Swiss Army
Chainsaw"... so what does that make Ruby?

Mobile Suit Ruby

*SCNR*

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt said:
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the *true* swiss army knife only
have very few tools? My Victorinox has six of them and I use them all.
That has nothing to do with a televison series starring Richard Dean
Anderson that I loved and still love to watch(*). The swiss army knife
simply is a very handy tool. I am not swiss but german.

Yeah, I guess the classic one does have about 6 tools. But classic in that
connotation has almost only marketing meaning...

Also about the Methaphor: I don't see why it should be swiss army
something. Granted, Mac Guyver certainly had a pacifist angle, where
pacifist meant that the good guys were prevailing. But should we not look
to other objects suited as analogy ?

I would like: Ruby, like the Hitchhikers guide. It comes in a friendly
cover and has the words 'Don't panic' written on the cover.

kaspar

hand manufactured code - www.tua.ch/ruby

Brian Schröder

Yeah, I guess the classic one does have about 6 tools. But classic in that
connotation has almost only marketing meaning...

Also about the Methaphor: I don't see why it should be swiss army
something. Granted, Mac Guyver certainly had a pacifist angle, where
pacifist meant that the good guys were prevailing. But should we not look
to other objects suited as analogy ?

I would like: Ruby, like the Hitchhikers guide. It comes in a friendly
cover and has the words 'Don't panic' written on the cover.
Though I'm a big fan of the hitchhikers trilogy (or more accurately pentology),
I don't know if I want to see ruby as the hitchhikers guide. Interpret this for
yourself:

<cite author="Douglas Noel Adams" title="The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy">
In many of the more relaxed civilizations on the Outer Eastern Rim of the
Galaxy, the +Hitchhiker's Guide+ has already supplanted the great +Encyclopedia
Galactica+ as the standard repository of all knowledge and wisdom, for though
it has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly
inaccurate, it scores over the older, more pedestrian work in two important
respects.

First, it is slightly cheaper; and second, it has the words +don't panic+
inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover.
</cite>

cheers,

brian

Kaspar Schiess

Though I'm a big fan of the hitchhikers trilogy (or more accurately
pentology), I don't know if I want to see ruby as the hitchhikers
guide. Interpret this for yourself:

Nothing like a good quote to snap a metaphor. Thanks.