[Ruby Appliance] Status update

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Phillip Gawlowski, Jan 3, 2010.

  1. A (very slightly edited) post can be found on my blog, too. [0]

    ==============cut at line====================================

    A few days before New Years, I posted how neat it'd be if we had a Ruby
    Appliance. This, and the mail to the ruby-talk mailing list has resulted
    in a couple of results already.

    For one, we found a name: Ruby Zen, which fits quite well, and is
    appropriately Web 2.0 without being unintelligible. ;-)

    For another: rubyzen.org has been registered, and we are feverishly
    working on getting the website up and some content, too.

    We are also working on evaluating Linux distros, with Gentoo, Turnkey
    Linux, and Ubuntu being hot candidates for the appliance's operating system.

    We've also decided to focus on Ruby 1.9.1.

    The guys over at gemcutter.org were so kind to provide me with a quick
    dump of the top 100 hottest gems, so we can pick some great gems to
    start with.

    Unfortunately, this is happening behind closed doors of sorts, since, at
    the moment, we are using Google Wave which is still closed to the
    general public. However, if you leave me a comment here, we can organize
    a handful Wave invites for certain! (I still got 5 or 6 left from the
    first batch alone.)

    So, what else?

    Future plans!

    In the short term:

    * Get a website up for easy contribution (and to move the
    development process in the public, where it belongs, it's done by the
    community for the community, after all)
    * Have a prototype VM ready in a couple of days
    * Get more contributors. You can help if: You can test a virtual
    machine, read proposals and comment on them (provide a reality check!
    Always good!), write a tutorial (maybe for your favorite gem, or Ruby
    feature)
    * Got TikiWiki experience? I'd be glad to hear from you, if you
    could lend a hand in implementing features (like an issue tracker, or
    user wiki page).

    So, yeah, the Ruby Appliance isn't forgotten. Considering that this was
    between the years we did get quite a bit done yet. Thanks to every one
    (on my blog or on Ruby Talk) who contributed already. :)

    [0]
    http://blog.thimian.com/2010/01/03/status-update-on-ruby-zen-ruby-appliance-remember/

    --
    Phillip Gawlowski

    Phillip Gawlowski, Jan 3, 2010

  2. Re: Status update

    It would be interesting if you have a clean upgrade solution: that is, I
    would like to be able to upgrade the appliance to a completely fresh VM
    image without losing my local changes. (Perhaps using an overlay
    filesystem, e.g. unionfs)

    If the image has to be maintained using the normal OS mechanisms -
    apt-get update or whatever - then I don't think I'd be interested. There
    are plenty of existing mechanisms for bootstrapping a VM image.

    Also, it would need to be ruby 1.8 for me.

    Brian Candler, Jan 3, 2010

  3. Re: Status update

    On 03.01.2010 19:31, Brian Candler wrote:
    > It would be interesting if you have a clean upgrade solution: that is, I
    > would like to be able to upgrade the appliance to a completely fresh VM
    > image without losing my local changes. (Perhaps using an overlay
    > filesystem, e.g. unionfs)

    I'll include that in our not-quite-ready-for-the-public-yet wiki as
    development goal for the VM.

    > If the image has to be maintained using the normal OS mechanisms -
    > apt-get update or whatever - then I don't think I'd be interested. There
    > are plenty of existing mechanisms for bootstrapping a VM image.

    Could you clarify this: do you mean the OS within the Virtual Machine,
    or updating the VM image?

    > Also, it would need to be ruby 1.8 for me.

    Then the VM is, out of the box, not for you, I'm afraid.

    Maybe http://www.turnkeylinux.org/rails this is more something for you,
    even though it is aimed at Rails development by default.

    --
    Phillip Gawlowski

    Phillip Gawlowski, Jan 4, 2010
  4. Re: Status update

    Brian Candler wrote:
    > It would be interesting if you have a clean upgrade solution: that is, I
    > would like to be able to upgrade the appliance to a completely fresh VM
    > image without losing my local changes. (Perhaps using an overlay
    > filesystem, e.g. unionfs)
    >
    > If the image has to be maintained using the normal OS mechanisms -
    > apt-get update or whatever - then I don't think I'd be interested. There
    > are plenty of existing mechanisms for bootstrapping a VM image.
    >
    > Also, it would need to be ruby 1.8 for me.

    I would note that Phillip's original purpose for this VM is actually for
    Ruby beginners or people who wish to learn Ruby. Depending on
    Vision(tm), a VM for experienced Ruby Devs would probably be an
    altogether different beast: one for which your requirements are quite
    reasonable :)

    Aldric Giacomoni, Jan 4, 2010
  5. Re: Status update

    Phillip Gawlowski wrote:
    >> If the image has to be maintained using the normal OS mechanisms -
    >> apt-get update or whatever - then I don't think I'd be interested. There
    >> are plenty of existing mechanisms for bootstrapping a VM image.

    > Could you clarify this: do you mean the OS within the Virtual Machine,
    > or updating the VM image?

    Everything within the VM image: the O/S, the ruby version, the gems,
    everything it provides which is not stuff I added myself.

    If this is going to be a pre-built Ubuntu image with ruby and a bunch of
    gems installed, then I could just use debootstrap or ubuntu-vm-builder
    to prepare it, and apt-get update (or unattended-upgrades) would keep it
    up to date.

    OTOH, if this is a teaching tool, then upgrading is not really a big
    deal. When it becomes stale, the user can throw it away and get a fresh
    one.

    Perhaps your focus is on people who don't already have a Linux distro on
    their desktop, but who are able to install something like vmware-player
    to run the image? If so, then I misunderstood the aim. When I read ruby
    VM, I was thinking of people running datacentres who want an easy way to
    install and maintain many Ruby application servers.

    Brian Candler, Jan 4, 2010
  6. Phillip Gawlowski

    Walton Hoops Guest

    Re: Status update

    On 1/4/2010 9:29 AM, Brian Candler wrote:
    > Everything within the VM image: the O/S, the ruby version, the gems,
    > everything it provides which is not stuff I added myself.
    >
    > If this is going to be a pre-built Ubuntu image with ruby and a bunch of
    > gems installed, then I could just use debootstrap or ubuntu-vm-builder
    > to prepare it, and apt-get update (or unattended-upgrades) would keep it
    > up to date.
    >
    > OTOH, if this is a teaching tool, then upgrading is not really a big
    > deal. When it becomes stale, the user can throw it away and get a fresh
    > one.
    >
    > Perhaps your focus is on people who don't already have a Linux distro on
    > their desktop, but who are able to install something like vmware-player
    > to run the image? If so, then I misunderstood the aim. When I read ruby
    > VM, I was thinking of people running datacentres who want an easy way to
    > install and maintain many Ruby application servers.

    A teaching tool is exactly what this is aimed at. While we have talked
    about developer-centric VMs also, it's not the primary focus atm.

    Walton Hoops, Jan 4, 2010
  7. Phillip Gawlowski

    Roger Pack Guest

    Re: Status update

    > A few days before New Years, I posted how neat it'd be if we had a Ruby
    > Appliance. This, and the mail to the ruby-talk mailing list has resulted
    > in a couple of results already.

    A few additional suggestions:
    ubuntu
    mysql client/server + gem
    redcar editor (once it's ever released) or some editor or other that
    works well with ruby--besides our beloved vi, of course.
    GL!
    -r

    Roger Pack, Jan 5, 2010
  8. Re: Status update

    Roger Pack wrote:
    >> A few days before New Years, I posted how neat it'd be if we had a Ruby
    >> Appliance. This, and the mail to the ruby-talk mailing list has resulted
    >> in a couple of results already.

    > A few additional suggestions:
    > ubuntu
    > mysql client/server + gem
    > redcar editor (once it's ever released) or some editor or other that
    > works well with ruby--besides our beloved vi, of course.
    > GL!
    > -r

    For any and all kinds of suggestions on what to include, please head to
    Google Wave and do a search for the tag "ruby appliance" - you'll see
    that we've made waves. Pun intended.

    Aldric Giacomoni, Jan 5, 2010