Ruby article

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Joe Van Dyk, Aug 29, 2005.

  1. Joe Van Dyk

    Joe Van Dyk Guest

    Joe Van Dyk, Aug 29, 2005

  2. Joe Van Dyk

    ts Guest

    J> I'm not familiar with COBOL though, can someone explain how the
    J> 'retry' example in the Pickaxe is supposedly bad?

    Well ALTER in COBOL is something like this (if memory is good)

    PERFORM 10-ACTION THRU 99-EXIT.

    10-ACTION.
    * the first call to PERFORM will go here
    ALTER 10-ACTION TO 20-ACTION.
    GOTO 99-EXIT.

    20-ACTION.
    * the next call to PERFORM will go here
    GOTO 99-EXIT.

    99-EXIT.
    EXIT.

    When you read the PERFORM statement you can't know where the program will
    go because this can changed latter with a ALTER

    Guy Decoux

    ts, Aug 29, 2005