Ruby as mathematical language

Steven Jenkins

Steven said:
One thing to bear in mind, however. Wrapping (whether with SWIG or not)
often requires copying input and output parameters. That's usually not a
big deal, but you might take a substantial performance hit if you're
passing large numbers of large arrays through a wrapper.

I looked at gsl_matrix_float.h as an example, and I don't think it's a
problem. Barring any surprises, all the wrapping mechanics can be done
with pointers.

I just discovered that there are two different Ruby GSL's:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ruby-gsl/
http://rb-gsl.rubyforge.org/

The former seems a little more modern. In particular, it uses
rb_define_class_under() to define the Matrix class. That may solve the
OP's problem right there.

Steve

Adam Sanderson

A majority of this does seem to exist. The only area I'm aware of that
is lacking in ruby right now is the Geographic libraries (which I would
be interested in if anyone knows of some). Aside from that, I think
that a little work could be put into a chosen set of libraries to make
them work together more easily, and you'd have a pretty powerful set of
tools. Integrating anything written in pure ruby wouldn't be hard most
of the time since ruby is pretty lax about typing.

A fairly powerful command line environment could be built with a few
extensions to ruby's irb.
.adam

tsuraan

A majority of this does seem to exist. The only area I'm aware of that
is lacking in ruby right now is the Geographic libraries (which I would
be interested in if anyone knows of some).

What exactly are you thinking of? I wrote some basic stuff to parse
Tiger/Line Census data a while ago. Is that the idea?

Ara.T.Howard

i also would love to see that kind of thing. a binding to

http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/

would be most excellent.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
| --Tenzin Gyatso

Adam Sanderson

Tiger/Line Census data is good, actually I might bug you later to see
that. I was thinking of bindings for things such as:
http://geos.refractions.net/
And perhaps for ShapeLib(?) as well. I think that would be quite
useful. Maybe we should start a different Ruby/GIS tools discussion
though ;)
.adam

Ara.T.Howard

Tiger/Line Census data is good, actually I might bug you later to see
that. I was thinking of bindings for things such as:
http://geos.refractions.net/
And perhaps for ShapeLib(?) as well. I think that would be quite
useful. Maybe we should start a different Ruby/GIS tools discussion
though ;)
.adam

shall i add you to the sciruby wiki?

http://sciruby.codeforpeople.com/

that'd be a good place to start a collection of ruby gis ideas...

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness.
| --Tenzin Gyatso

Ara.T.Howard

Tiger/Line Census data is good, actually I might bug you later to see
that. I was thinking of bindings for things such as:
http://geos.refractions.net/
And perhaps for ShapeLib(?) as well. I think that would be quite
useful. Maybe we should start a different Ruby/GIS tools discussion
though ;)
.adam

found this

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/